Should I try to pull the roots of plucked/pecked feathers?

TX Chick Noob

DH says I'm obsessed with my chickens 😂
Premium Feather Member
One of my hens was being a bully and pecking the butt feathers of all the others. I have been using a combination of blukote and Pick-no-more to stope her, and I believe it has greatly diminished. Some of them have regrown some feathers, but others are still almost naked. Should I try to pull the root of the ones that it is long enough to grasp with pliers? Or just wait until they molt in the fall? I don’t want to accidentally injure them. We are headed into our period of extremely hot weather (90-105+ F), and am not sure if they are better off with or without the feathers. They are all just over one year old, and assortment of breeds.

Thanks!

A few pics of the bald areas.
IMG_4702.jpeg

IMG_4701.jpeg

IMG_4723.jpeg

Awww, poor naked butts. I have a similar scenario here. There were a few broken feathers & little pieces sticking out. When I picked up a hen they sorta stuck me, so I thought well it must be sticking her just trying to dustbathe, so I have these tiny pliers & I plucked them out. They grip good & I pluck it fast. The hens didn't seem to mind at all, sitting on my lap playing with buttons on my shirt. Some may say leave it alone but we know a new feather won't grow in until that old one is gone, so I say pluck old broken one to get new feather growth motivated. Don't pluck new ones coming in though...yours looks like new ones in the pic but my phone screen is messed up right now. An old broken off feather vs a new one...you can tell. The new ones will bleed if you pluck them.

Awww, poor naked butts. I have a similar scenario here. There were a few broken feathers & little pieces sticking out. When I picked up a hen they sorta stuck me, so I thought well it must be sticking her just trying to dustbathe, so I have these tiny pliers & I plucked them out. They grip good & I pluck it fast. The hens didn't seem to mind at all, sitting on my lap playing with buttons on my shirt. Some may say leave it alone but we know a new feather won't grow in until that old one is gone, so I say pluck old broken one to get new feather growth motivated. Don't pluck new ones coming in though...yours looks like new ones in the pic but my phone screen is messed up right now. An old broken off feather vs a new one...you can tell. The new ones will bleed if you pluck them.
Thanks for the reply. On some of them it is a combination of new ones and old ones. I would definitely be careful to only pluck old ones, and if in doubt leave it alone. Hopefully I can find a pair of my hemostats to make sure I get a good grip and pluck quickly.

Will wait awhile to see if I get more opinions.

One of my hens was being a bully and pecking the butt feathers of all the others.
That may be true.. but what I see there is caused by parasites.. classic location angry skin the whole cha cha.

Treat with Permethrin (horse fly spray) and don't pluck anything.

ETA: a small spritz directly to the skin of each bird.. feathers parted, soaking not required.. under each wing pit, just below the vent, and to the back of the head at the nape of the neck.. repeat in 10-14 days according to directions. Spray lay box, roost, etc.

That may be true.. but what I see there is caused by parasites.. classic location angry skin the whole cha cha.

Treat with Permethrin (horse fly spray) and don't pluck anything.

ETA: a small spritz directly to the skin of each bird.. feathers parted, soaking not required.. under each wing pit, just below the vent, and to the back of the head at the nape of the neck.. repeat in 10-14 days according to directions. Spray lay box, roost, etc.
I considered parasites when it first started, but there is one hen that has all her feathers and who I caught in the act of pecking at the others. I considered linked peepers but am worried her comb won’t allow it. She seems to have stopped or at least slowed down about it, otherwise she will find herself in a “time out” kennel in the coop. But I suppose it couldn’t hurt to try some permethrin just in case. Thanks!

Here is a face shot of the presumed culprit.
IMG_5079.jpeg

I'd not pluck feather 'roots' might cause more irritation than it's worth.
Bare butts bother us more than them ;)

But I suppose it couldn’t hurt to try some permethrin just in case.
I'd not treat for parasites unless you find live ones on the bird.

Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

I considered parasites when it first started, but there is one hen that has all her feathers and who I caught in the act of pecking at the others. I considered linked peepers but am worried her comb won’t allow it. She seems to have stopped or at least slowed down about it, otherwise she will find herself in a “time out” kennel in the coop. But I suppose it couldn’t hurt to try some permethrin just in case. Thanks!

Here is a face shot of the presumed culprit.
View attachment 3536446
I understand and it's good cause for suspicion! Her mugshot makes her look guilty! Lol. :lau

She may also have a stronger immune system, different bathing habits etc.

How are your roosts set up.. are they allowing for this butt picking?

To me plucked feathers don't make for angry skin.. I do think it's worth trying (if it's still effective in your location) since there is NO egg withdrawal required. (it works well for chicken stuff here, but not at all for dog stuff). I would expect to see the skin start to show some improvement.. also though, I guess my screen lighting could be making it look angrier than it is in person.

Back
Top Bottom