Should I try to sell my purebred splash Ameracauna or just free to a good home?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kalb-Hill, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Kalb-Hill

Kalb-Hill New Egg

Apr 13, 2010
    This is Big Poppy. He was originally supposed to be just Poppy, but this is the second time Meyer Hatchery has sent a Roo instead of a hen. We are in the city limits of Atlanta, and our neighbors are about to kill us. Poppy is a very early crower.

Last time the Roo we hoped was a hen was just a Buff Orpington, and I gave him away for free to a great home with a buff flock. Considering Poppy is a purebred splash Ameracauna, should I try to sell him? Or just advertise him as free as well?[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    That's really entirely up to you. Personally, I'd rather give a roo to a good home than worry about getting paid (there are just soooo many out there, and unless you're a breeder, how likely are people to pay you for him?). You could try your local 4H, too. Sometimes kids need a show rooster.

3. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    How much are you thinking? What do Roo's go for in your area, or do you know? Check your local Craigslist if you have one. Maybe go to a local feedstore with a printed out ad with his pic and breed, age, etc. & see if you get any "bites". Our feedstores all have bulletin boards you can post on.

Around here, when I've had to get rid of Roo's, I just give 'em away. Some ppl have them advertised on CL for $10-$15 but I don't know if they sell or not. In my early days, I sold a Silkie Splash roo for $15 and the girl was HAPPY to get him for her flock.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  4. Kalb-Hill

Kalb-Hill New Egg

Apr 13, 2010
    I have no idea what they go for. I'll look at craigslist, but Sounds like there is not much Value there. I am perfectly fine with giving him to a good permanent home. I was just curious if his breed would make him worth more. Wanted to check before I did though in case I had say a $50 bird or something like that. Thanks for the responses!

5. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Unless the bird has some specific rare genetic heritage, an unwanted rooster isn't really worth anything. If you got he bird from Meyer, it's not a rare bird.

Check around and see if there's any local Ameracauna breeders - maybe one is looking for some new blood. Otherwise, if you give him away, hes most likely going to end up in a pot. That's life for a rooster.

1 person likes this.
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I did recently sell a splash Ameraucana rooster for $10. Usually I give my cockerels away but decided to give it a try....the gentleman was thrilled to get him. You could try a nominal price like that, but he's not a high dollar bird.

1 person likes this.
  7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    He's lovely! personally i dislike the free animal concept a nominal fee is is my route, the bird was anything but free to raise to this point and i do feel at least some fee will reduce the people gathering animals for no good purposes out of the classifieds.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

He's not bad looking for a hatchery bird, IMO. If he has nice temperament, all the better. Put him up on BYC for free rehoming or a nominal $5 if you want him gone soon. Put ads up at feed stores. If I ever took started birds, I'd be happy to have that one. I have raised BBS Ameraucanas for awhile.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not a pure breed, 'splash' is not a standard of Ameraucana.

Please don't perpetuate the hatchery's mis-representation by advertising him as a pure breed.

He's a cross/mix.....nice looking bird tho....someone might be glad to own him, but most 'unplanned' roosters are only good for the pot - but they are very good for that!

10. Kalb-Hill

Kalb-Hill New Egg

Apr 13, 2010

Understood. Tried to change the title of the post, but not able to.

Found him a great home in the North Georgia Mountains yesterday. Thanks everyone.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by