1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

should i turn the light of sooner

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cary 1973, Nov 24, 2012.

1. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

so my birds are not normal chickens they stay out after the sun goes done but I have poarch lights on so that could be why now that we are getting down in low 50's at night almost 40's instead of chasing them back in at 8:30 - 9:00 like tonight they went in on there own and on there roost at 7:30pm. I dont keep lights on for eggs but so I can spend time with them when off of work other wise I would only see them on weekends that is not accatable. so my ? if they start going in should I start turning there inside coop lights off when there up on there coop and settled for the night or just leave the time to go off at 8:30pm I dont know what they would want but they seem to sleep ok with the lights (there very dim lights from lows out side garden lights basicaly 12 white christmas lights with bamboo around them.)

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by