Should I? URGENT

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tweetyflights, Aug 21, 2010.

1. tweetyflights

tweetyflights Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    hey guys I'm new to this forum and just have a few questions (er.... well 1)

so i'm hatching calafornia/valley quail eggs.
    1 hatched ,

1 hasn't pipped (cracked?) but it does sometimes peep when it hears the other

the last one was the first one to open up ( small hole) and now it's a crack about 1/2 - 3/4 around the egg.
    It's taken 2-3 days to get like this but now it's not moving as much or trying to get out! i can see it's little body with feathers so it's ready to fully hatch but i was wondering if I could help it by pulling the egg apart???? it's been the same size crack for about a day and i don't know if it's still alive????? i want bubbles (hatched one) to have a companion even if there is another egg. If i can help it do i put a damp paper towel to prevent shrink wrapping ( forget actual name but read about it somewhere)? they've been in the bator about 22-23 (?) days (they were rescued mom abandoned nest, raccoons got eggs etc.)

Please help and soon

2. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    I dont know anything about quail so take any advice from me with a grain of salt- but if you do need to intervene, only do so if there is no blood visible in/on the membrane. If you suspect that it is shrink wrapping, take a damp cloth and wrap it around the egg, exposing the place where the beak is so it can breathe. If you must help more, take tweezers and carefully, remove *tiny* bits of shell/membrane. But that will mean taking it out of the bator, so I think wrapping it in the cloth and leaving it for a few more hours is preferable.

ETA: If you have one that is peeping in its shell, but hasnt pipped, Im not sure there's anything you can do. I'll be [​IMG] that someone with more experience will hop on here and give you some better advice.
    Good luck [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by