Should I use DIATOMACEOUS EARTH ???

Its just worked over the years...I don't feed it to them cause once it's wet, its useless...but I have used it with success...so just stuck with it, just like the wood ash. It's possible that it's not making a difference...but if it ain't broke, I don't fix it! I've just been lucky with it in keeping the little buggers at bay. Now, if we do develope an issue that's noticeable on the girls...then they get dusted with sevin...with 3 weekly treatments.
1f603.png

My girls have an 8'x10' covered run...I don't use it in their coop...just their outside area. Approx 1/3 of that run is their 'dirt pile'. Lol. We live in an area with heavy,clay soil...so,I scrape up some local dirt, purchase bagged (plain) topsoil and all purpose sand from Lowes(not play sand-too much silica) and a couple of cups of DE...and, if I have any wood ash from the fireplace...a couple of cups of that,also. I make a nice mixture in the wheelbarrow and dump it in their run area. I've sectioned off an area with 1x8's so I can get it about 10" deep...then stand back! Lol they're so funny & happy rollin around and getting dirty! Just be sure it is food grade DE...not the stuff we use for the garden. Also...make sure it's a covered area-don't want it wet!
1f603.png

The case is that DE sticks the chitin cover in insects, that is the way DE dries the insect. It is tru the 0,2 microm particles in DE introduces into joints and damage the insect. It is so easy, natural, without chemicals, respect the bees and you avoid throwing poisons in soils and water. Take into account the DE in the ground is a very good fertilizer. DE is not kriptonite, is a natural mineral that includes calcium carbonate, silica mainly and 42 minerals more underneath one per cent.

Hello, I have used Red Lake DE (Food Grade) in my coop (32 SqFt) with 6 nesting boxes and high well ventilated ceilings for the last 4 years. I spread it over everything in the coop. When I change the bedding, about every 6 months. I dust the floor of the coop, add pine flakes, dust the flakes and stir. I use it on my Poop boards and in my nesting boxes. I do not have any problems with flies, insects, mites, lice, etc. The biggest benefit as I can see it is NO CHICKEN COOP SMELL.
I will also mix in 1 cup of DE per 50lbs of feed. Visitors to my coop cannot get over how there is no smell. I would recommend the use of DE to all owners. You should wear a mask when spreading it as it is dusty, also use food grade only. I know humans that take a tbps a day with water.It is not a myth. of course, there may be another way... This is the one I choose.

Good luck and Happy Chickens!

Yulee Coolie

I used to be the biggest advocate for DE - you'd have thought I had stock in the company! I put a little under their bedding, a little in their nest boxes, a little on the floor of their run and mixed it in with the stuff in their dust bath. Every week I was out there protecting my flock. I was doing them a great service, helping prevent nasties from getting to my girls, right? Then one day I was out there doing my DE thing, and of course I was wearing a bandanna over my face. Why? Well because the dust from spreading it around, even trying to be careful, made me cough and besides, the back of the bag said to wear respiratory protection.

Um, wait a minute.....my chickens are kicking up this dust when they scratch, when they arrange the straw in their nests, and definitely when they dust bathe....I could actually see the DE particles floating in a sunbeam while one of the girls was in the dust bath having herself a great time! That was my "what the heck am I DOING??" moment! I'm supposed to protect my respiratory system when applying it but I make them live in and breath the constant dust from it? Their respiratory systems are more delicate than mine!! And that doesn't even take into account the fact that all those little bugs I wanted to have breaking down the deep litter in my coop were being killed right along with the stuff I didn't want in there!

So that was the end of DE for me. No product in a bag, miracle or not, is going to do a better job for the birds I'm responsible for than diligence, a little extra effort, and good hygiene practices out in the coop and run. As for feeding it? Well, as far as I know most internal parasites are found in the gut. DE is ground up in the crop. And wet DE loses the sharpness of those little edges anyway. So....again, diligence and a little good husbandry go a lot further. So others can use it if they want. But as for me, I can't ask a bag of microscopic skeletons to do what I should be doing.

I do use some food grade DE, a light dusting as a base in my coop and under the nesting area since I do not do deep litter. When I change out the pine shavings( twice a year) after I wash and dry the coop , I add it . I clean poop out every morning from the roosting areas and only have 3 chickens so it is no big deal. I think there are pros and cons and as your chicken's keeper, you educate yourself and decide if it is something you would like to do or not! You do have to check your birds and take care of them. There are no magic bullets but so far my girls are happy and healthy.

I do not add it to feed.
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
I'd rather burn my money than buy de for pest control. It has been stated in a couple places on this very thread that once damp de loses its effectiveness. So let me ask you what do you think happens when you spread de on the floor of your coop or run? It gets wet, it will rain outside, it will rain through your windows, chickens track in mud and water, chickens crap big damp crap piles under their roosts. I clean my coop usually twice a year and when I do what do I find under my bedding? Dampness. Besides the fact that breathing it is not good for anyone or anything's respiratory system it is a complete waste of money.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom