should I use heat lamp tonight?

jdoane

Songster
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
Western Massachusetts
My chicks (5weeks) havs been without the heat lamp fof about half the week. Their brooder is in my uninsulated garage. We've had cool nights. Tonight we are expecting a low of 40 (it may stay a few degrees warmer in the garage). I can't decide whether to turn the heat lamp back on. What do you think? Chicks are pretty well feathered but not completely.

If they are 4 weeks, put a little heat on them tonight, from midnight to 8 am. 5 weeks is that notoriously inbetween stage.

If they are 6 weeks, they'll be just fine. It won't get nearly as cold inside a building, even an uninsulated one, as it will outside. There just isn't time for the cold to penetrate.

I find after 4 weeks of age, the bulb can be much, much lower wattage and take the edge off just fine.

Last edited:
I would. If I do the temperature requirement math right at the 5 degree per week recommendation, they still need around 70-75 degrees. Better safe than sorry.

I would. If I do the temperature requirement math right at the 5 degree per week recommendation, they still need around 70-75 degrees. Better safe than sorry.

That's a good guideline. It is a very conservative guideline which is good for beginners who need to start somewhere. We never actually follow it in real life. It is all too, too hot. But again, a good starting guideline.

If they are 4 weeks, put a little heat on them tonight, from midnight to 8 am.   5 weeks is that notoriously inbetween stage.

If they are 6 weeks, they'll be just fine.  It won't get nearly as cold inside a building, even an uninsulated one, as it will outside.  There just isn't time for the cold to penetrate.

I find after 4 weeks of age, the bulb can be much, much lower wattage and take the edge off just fine.  

Thanks! Will do! I was sort of feeling that 5 weeks was this weird age. Glad it wasn't just me!

Back
Top Bottom