Should I use sand in my chicken coops?

Peggysaurus

Songster
Sep 24, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Hey, BYC! For a while now, I've been thinking about putting sand in my chicken coop (I have been using wood shavings for about a year now). I've never had sand in my coop before, so do any of you guys have any tips when it comes to putting sand in chickens coops? Thanks, everyone!

Last edited:
I don't use exclusive sand, but where I do have some,,,, it is the concrete grade coarse type. I have sections in my run where chickens can scratch in and dust bathe in. I purchase it bulk by the yard, from the cement/concrete supply near me.

Thank you, we are just finishing our coop and run, the run has grass at the moment, so I figured I leave it till they scratch it to nothing...lol Been debating on what to do inside the coop

Inside my coop, I use hay. Straw is also a possibility, but for the few coins more per bale,,,, I prefer hay. Smells way more pleasant also.
Most of my run is covered with Lawn Grass clippings that I bag during mowing. The clippings do give my hens countless scratching options, and do keep the ground dry from mud buildup during rains. The run area is the complete side of the house,garage, to fence separating our neighbor. That is a large area. And there is a sand portion in there as well. :thumbsup
If your run is large enough, and chickens in moderate amount,,, your run grass will survive.

Back
Top Bottom