Should i use sand or shavings????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by penut1799, Jun 4, 2011.

1. penut1799

penut1799 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    North Fort Myers, FL
    HI! I live in FL where it is HOT all the time! I was wondering should i use sand or pine shavings? [​IMG] It is very dry and hot here so which would be better to use? Thank you!

2. LD Jackson

LD Jackson Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    Quote:I expect you are going to get a very wide range of opinions on this. Personally, I am just starting my flock and I am using shavings. I suppose I could tell you in a few weeks how they are working out. [​IMG]

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Both are effective so let's compare.

Chips are far more expensive than sand ($22 for a bale here), are prone to absorb spilt water & uric acid then it stinks, must be completely removed & disposed of when cleaning, and tend to mold and stick to the floor in hard lumps.

Coarse sand is cheap (about $10 a pickup load), allows birds something to scratch in, is a supply of grit, does not absorb and stink, does not need to be removed during cleanings (just a rake and kitty litter scoop) but if it does you can throw it in the driveway, can be cold on bird's feet in the winter but birds roost anyway and can be washed down after cleaning depending on coop floor design.

But you should maybe try them both and see what works for you. Both clean out very easy with a shop vac and a putty knife for the lumps of chips.

4. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    I'm using sand right now in my temporary coop and now that we're moving up to the big coop I'm sticking with the sand. It cleans up so easily, the birds love to dust bathe in it, ...Its just the best option I've found but you'll get many opinion for sure here.

5. birdface

birdface Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Downingtown, Pa
    I just switched from shaving to sand. Its great, got rid of all my flies and stink. easy to clean up. And its supposed to keep them cooler.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by