Should I vaccinate for Marek's

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bjklemm, Sep 9, 2013.

1. bjklemm

bjklemm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2013
    We are getting chicks and our flock will be less than 10 birds. Should I vaccinate for such a small flock? Any advice appreciated as we are newbies!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Where are you getting chicks from? Most hatcheries will vaccinate the chicks for you, which is much easier than doing it on your own. I would personally vaccinate your flock, as the Marek's disease virus is everywhere. It is one of the worst diseases a chicken can get--it slowly paralyzes them, and there is no completely effective treatment. I, for one, would never want to have to watch my chickens suffer through such an awful disease.

3. bjklemm

bjklemm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2013
    We are getting them from Ideal Poultry Hatchery.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Pay the extra money and have them vaccinated for Marek's.

-Kathy

5. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    YES! I had 8 chickens and they weren't vaccinated. One died and I will never know if it was mareks. I should have had a necropsy. Now I worry about my others. I wish I'd thought more about it. Now, either my birds have it or they don't and I won't know unless I have more that get sick.

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It's well worth it no matter how small your flock. My flock is always somewhere between 10 and 20 birds, all are vaccinated for Marek's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by