1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I wait before replacing a hen that has died?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Laver2k, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Laver2k

Laver2k Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2013
    Hi all,
    We had 3 hens but woke up to find that one had died during the night. She was only around 2 years old but had been happy and eating the day before. Her comb and wattle were red and I throw around some anti-mite powder every week. I think it was just one of those things.

We are left with 2 hens now, 2 that don't really get along. No serious fighting issues - just one is quite nervous and prefers to be alone usually - whereas the other one seems to really prefer company. I feel like adding a new chicken might be nice for them both (I know that there will be a couple of weeks of squabbling).

Are there any reasons why I should not be so quick to add a new one? Do they need time to process the death of the other one before changing things again?

2. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    Get them a new friend!!!

3. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    The sooner the better. I'd go on and replace her.

4. LoveChickens123

LoveChickens123 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would replace her

5. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I agree. I think It would be easier to add a new hen now then it would be to add one later after they have gotten used to being a twosome.

6. chicken8

chicken8 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska
    You should replace her with two hens, because chicken math.

7. Laver2k

Laver2k Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2013
    Thanks guys!
    I'm glad there's no reason to wait.

I dont think my coop is big enough for 4 chickens....I will see what they have at the bird farm and what the other half will allow ;).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by