Should I worry about this rooster behavior?

tomato lady

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Eatonville, WA
My 10 year old granddaughter goes with me to the coop most of the time. We have 2 Polish roos just coming of age. Today one of them, the boss roo, started going in circles around her with his feathers standing up on his back. He even flapped his wings, but just a little. My granddaughter grabbed him and carried him around with her for about 15 minutes. He doesn't intimidate her at all and I guess she let him know. He seemed better after that.

I will watch him, but should I be worried now? My granddaughter never goes to the coop without me.

Dancing around her means he was courting her! He sees her as nothing more than another hen. Do NOT allow that behavior at all! Chase him away from her, or do whatever you feel necessary, but dont' allow him to dance to her, or anyone else. Dancing is for the hens only.

Agreed. This is dominating behavior and you should stop it before it does get worse. Though you seem to be doing that already, so, keep it up. And perhaps every once in a while, when he mates with a hen or chases a lower ranker, have your grand-daughter give him a shove with her foot, while you stand guard to make sure nothing happens. That would mean that she is letting him know that SHE is making the calls there. The worst insult to a head rooster is having another 'rooster' chase them off a hen or telling them what to do, and letting them get away with it.

I had a Silkie roo who danced around me and even though I walked with him after he did, the day came where he spurred my leg and it was never quite the same after that. Only death would have stopped him. I went from shoves to water guns to eventually, sticks. You can't change some roos. Don't be worried. Just be aware.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
I agree. I don't tolerate dancing. Start reminding now and often that y'all are in charge, not him.

Back
Top Bottom