Should I worry about where they sleep?

jgarreth

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 13, 2013
I have noticed that when the hens "go to bed" for the night, they aren't sleeping on the perches inside the coop. They all seem to be perching on top of their nesting boxes or around the edges of them. Should I even worry about this? They aren't old enough to lay yet. They are only about 12/13wks old. They love the outside perch and I know they use the inside perches too but at night they all seem to bunch up in the corners with the boxes. Just curious...

Thanks in advance. :)

Jill

Lola the dog says "Say what???" lol

Last edited:
My youngsters don't sleep on the perch either but the will. My concern for you is the nesting boxes. I recommend you remove them or close them off somehow. They will sleep in them and poop in them and you don't want either of these behaviors. Put the nesting boxes ini when they are about 17 or 18 weeks old or when you can see they are about to start laying.

I have six pullets now. When I go out to feed them in the morning I always have three that sleep on the perch together and three on the floor together. I figure its a social click.

My youngsters don't sleep on the perch either but the will. My concern for you is the nesting boxes. I recommend you remove them or close them off somehow. They will sleep in them and poop in them and you don't want either of these behaviors. Put the nesting boxes ini when they are about 17 or 18 weeks old or when you can see they are about to start laying.

x2 You may want to close off the boxes until they reach laying age. If they get into the habit of sleeping in them it is hard to break them of the behavior and you will end up with very poopy eggs.

Ugh...thanks. I already have poopy nesting boxes. I will try and close them off somehow for a few more weeks. Thanks a bunch!!!

I removed the nesting boxes today. Poor girls...they act as if I've done something horrible. lol How will I know when it's time to put them back?

You can either put them back when they are around 18 weeks or just look for the signs of them getting ready to start laying. Look for their combs getting bright red and they may even start to squat when you come near them, as if to be mated by a rooster. There may be other signs as well that I am not aware of but could be searched for on this site.

my hens sleep on the roost. however my rooster sleeps on the board that seperates nesting boxes. he is little now,when he grows up he wont fit. is this ok?

Back
Top Bottom