Should I worry?

Genipher

Songster
11 Years
Jan 9, 2013
I've noticed, while scrapping chicken poo off the shelf every morning, that one of my ladies had runny, white-ish poo. One day it sorta looked like a bit of red in the poo. Couldn't figure out which hen was having the issue so I just....let it go. Well, today one of my Buff's suddenly died. She was maybe 1.5 years old. Kids found it and when I disposed of her, she was still warm. So it was sudden.

I'm paranoid, now, that it's bird flu. I'm on the Oregon coast and I've heard it's hit in the Willamette Valley but it wasn't close enough for me to worry about. I have seen a pigeon hanging around our yard... Normally I'd just shrug it off as, "it happens" but, I dunno. This has me a tad worried. I don't want to lose my whole flock. We need the eggs!

Is there something else that could cause this chicken to die? I'm clueless. My 10 other hens look/are acting fine. Do I need to treat my flock with something?

I'm sorry to hear about your hen.

There's numerous things that can cause a hen to suddenly die. Heart or liver failure, some type of reproductive issue, etc. Hens can be very good at hiding illness.

A necropsy would reveal the cause if you are worried. https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Oh, I didn't realize that could be done. I already tossed her in the garbage.

Back
Top Bottom