Should I?

Ok. Thanks for the help. I have(98% sure) decided not to. The woman didn’t reply to my questions, and I am just going to wait for spring.

And like shad said above. .
They need to be able to swim sometimes too.
They don't have to have swimming water 24/7 but it is important for them to be able to swim I would say a minimum of once a week to keep their oil glands working properly. (They spread the oil through their feathers, that's what keeps them waterproof.)
Ducks need to bathe every day to stay healthy. Sometimes you can get away with less often on the winter.

Ducks need to bathe every day to stay healthy. Sometimes you can get away with less often on the winter.
Daily baths are for the best. . sure yes. I agree. But I don't think less often is necessarily unhealthy as long as they have water deep enough to clean their eyes and snares at all times.
Mine only get baths about once a week during winter months and I haven't had any issues from it.

If you want to be happy and you want 5 chickens, the simplest choice would be to forget about the 2 hens-and-a-duck situation, and just raise 5 baby chicks.
:old
Ditto Dat!

Ok. Thanks for the help. I have(98% sure) decided not to. The woman didn’t reply to my questions, and I am just going to wait for spring.
Best to get your coop ready now, then get the 5 chicks you want.
Start fresh with healthy birds, you never know what someone else's birds might bring in with them(I made that mistake).
There's a lot to learn about keeping chickens, integrating birds is not something you want to to right off the bat.

I recently found out about 2 chickens and a duck in need of a home. The hens are 9-10 months and are a Buff Orp and a Black Australorp. The ducks gender and breed is currently unbeknownst to me, but I will find out soon. There is no info on whether they are socialized.
I was planning on getting chicks in the spring, but since these birds are young, and the hens are both breeds I was considering, I am am not so sure now.
Any advice?
(Btw this will be my first time owning chickens and possibly a duck.)

Give it a try. I have a duck and they are fun to watch. It stays in the yard during the day and goes into the chicken run at night to be safe from predators. If you have a pond that is great otherwise you will need a kiddie pool or something else that will hold water because a duck needs a place to swim, splash and drink. A duck has to have a lot more water to drink than a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom