1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I...?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by malia, Feb 24, 2009.

1. malia

malia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    GA
    turn this old open barn into a chicken coop to free range? There is 2 acres surrounding it with only cattle fencing around the perimeter. I wouldn't be able to lock them up at night as I don't get home till 11pm. I would keep my "favorites" in my coop by the house that has a covered run. I just don't know if it would be worth it to expect to lose birds to predators. Quite a bit of work would be needed to make it chicken ready and it's a long trek to carry waterers. Just seems like a waste of a barn sitting there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I'd make that into a coop in a second! Happy renovating!

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Shoot yeah! I would have that thing remodeled and working for me in no time. That is awesome. [​IMG]
    Maybe you should get a LGD to stay out there with them. They are super great for that. Pyrenees, Anatolian, etc.
    I would have 50 layers, with 2 roos and a dog. And a small opening for the dog and birds to go in and out.
    I drive my truck around the farm to fill up waterers in the tractors. Yeah, call me lazy, I used to use a wagon that I walked and pulled along with food and water. that tiny hill on the west side of the farm kills an old woman like me![​IMG]

Keep us posted on that cool barn. I want to see what you do with :frowit!

4. Fowl Visions

Fowl Visions Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Keystone Heights, FL
    The building looks awesome and would make a great coop!

5. malia

malia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    GA
    Man, you all were supposed to talk me out of it. I guess I just might have to do it.

6. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Do it. A little hot wire around it could help with the predators. I only wish i had something like that to work with. Order your chicks and get to work. O Yea post pics of your progress. Good Luck

7. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    I would get some goats and donkeys [​IMG]

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Honestly, it looks like a raccoon buffet waiting to happen, to me, sorry... although you could *try* putting up copious amounts of strategically-placed metal flashing to deter them from being able to climb up to where the chickens were roosting.

You could try it... but I would not put a lot of money into it, as the odds of it being longterm successful do not seem high to me.

Make a great barn for goats or ponies or something, though [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If I left the coop door open until 11 pm every night here, I'd lose all my chickens. I'd think about confining them, guard animals or an automatic door. Besides the ones you can buy, there are a couple of different versions of doors that people have built, on the forum.

Other than the predator issues, I think it's a great idea to convert it, to have more chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by