Should mom and new babies be separated from flock?

Gloria's Gang

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Atkinson, NH
I got some fertile eggs for my broody cochin and silkie and today theyhatched! I am SO EXCITED!!!! This is the first time we have done this. They have been in the nest boxes in the coop with my other hens and pullets (14 in all) the hole time. Should I separate Moms and babies away from the rest? I can cut the coop in half and the run in half with wire fencing. They would have their own entrance. I am afraid to move them, although it would only be a few feet.

Thanks for any comments.

I don't know if you "should" but I did... I have alot more than 14 and the hen kept kicking my broody off to lay and take over- the day finally came where she hatched 2 out and I put her in a small pen with her babies until they are old enough to fend for themselvces when I introduce back in the flock-everyone can see them and get close but they can't touch the babies:) I hope my plan works??

Same here. I moved my broody and her chicks to a sequestered part of the coop (actually, the feed storage area) where they can still see, and be seen by, the rest of the flock, but have a safe isolated nest. I had hoped to keep them all together, but the other hens were trying to shove their way into the broody's nest to lay - or whatever!? - and I was afraid the chicks would get hurt. So far, when they are with the rest of the flock (I've let them out into the run, supervised) the other hens seem very matter of fact about it, no violence. They are more interested in the chicks' food than the chicks themselves, at this point. I'm just playing it by ear...
By the way, moving the broody into the "safe" area was very easy. She heaved a big sigh of relief, and settled right in, no problem. I had tried to move her and the eggs before, and she got really upset and left the new nest. So I put her back in with everyone else until they actually hatched.

Last edited:
I have to concur...I did the same thing. So far 3 hens have hatched 1 baby each. As each hatched I moved her, baby and any unhatched eggs into a dog crate in barn. My master plan is to wait a few weeks until the babies are bigger, put all the mom & babies into a one large cage/run and then back into the main flock. Hope it works.

Margot

Thank you all for the advice. That was my gut feeling but I needed some reassurance since I've never done this before. Out of the eight fertile eggs I purchased from a local backyard coop, four have hatched today. If the others were going to hatch should they have done so already or could it take another day? I'll move the moms, babies and any unhatched eggs first thing tomorrow. I know one of my other hens did sneak in and lay an egg or two while the cochin sat but I didn't mark the fertile ones so I couldn't tell which was which. Live and learn. Next time I will.

I just had a broody hatch a few weeks ago,and I moved her out of the coop for 2 weeks until the chicks werent so fragile. I just re-introduced her and the chicks back into the coop a week ago. All I can say is.... NOBODY messes with my broody Ruby, OR those chicks. If any bird comes within three feet of one of her chicks, they get a rude awakening. They are all getting along just fine. I was even surprised to see my Rooster taking on a nurturing role towars the babies. Now they have run of the coop and all the big chickens scatter like mice afraid Ruby is going to get them for being too close. This is my first time doing this, so others may have a different experience, but for me it has never been easier.

I moved the two hens (one silkie and one standard cochin) and their babies to a sectioned off part of the coop. The six of them are together. Lola the silkie is SUPER protective and aggressive toward Sylvia the cochin (who was her best friend) and anyone else who comes near her two babies. It's amazing to watch. They have all been outside and seem to be healthy and happy.

Quote:
That's exactly my plan... and my broody is named Ruby as well! (yours isn't a BO too is it?) She has 9 chicks right now, and they're a week old-- so I thought I'd give it 1-2 more weeks before I reintroduce them. Glad to hear yours went so well-- they are just in a separate pen in the run, so my other 3 hens have come over to look at the babies, but don't seem that interested. I have another broody due to hatch in 2 weeks, so I think I'll reintroduce Ruby and babies, then move Bluebell and her brand new chicks to the separate pen. Hopefully that works out for everybody!

Back
Top Bottom