1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should this bird be bred?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DavidILoveYou22, Aug 19, 2013.

1. DavidILoveYou22

DavidILoveYou22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello! I have a Mottled Houdan cockerel, about 14 weeks I think (plus or minus two or three weeks, I'm terrible at keeping track of my birds' ages) who has a very odd condition... he is very tall and gamey looking, way more than most Houdans, and almost to the point where I think he might have some other kind of gamefowl in him. Now personally, I love the gamefowl look, so that's not the issue, but I have noticed him spending most of his time sitting down on his hocks. He can stand and run, but rarely does. I've heard some of the Oriental Gamefowl breeds, mainly Malays, will do this but not be able to get back up, whereas like I said, this guy can. So, I really like his colors and temperament and would love to cross him with some other breeds of hens, but is it wise to do this with his hock issue? Will the chicks have it? And what is it caused by, exactly?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't know about this breed, specifically, but I won't breed any bird that's at all unthrifty, and I just breed mixed breed birds for my own eggs and meat. Why take a chance and have a bunch of special needs birds? Find another rooster that you like.

edited--you state you like his temperament, but don't make a decision based on that, yet. He's still young and the hormones are yet to come!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  3. DavidILoveYou22

DavidILoveYou22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Alright, thanks for your reply. I only just saw this cause I finally remembered this thread, but it's actually moot point now- the dog ate him a few weeks ago. Sorry it took me so long to post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by