Should this cord be snipped?

DelilahC

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2023
My little overdue egg hatched this afternoon. I thought this egg was due to hatch Friday or Saturday but pipped Saturday and hatched less than an hour ago. A bit of sac is still attached by the thin clear-ish umbilical cord. It doesn't appear to have any blood or fluid going through the cord. Do I snip it? I'm worried about the tension on her navel dragging it around the incubator, She is very active and very vocal. Should I wrap her up? Or just let her drag it around until its dry? I've never had this happen before.
1685991854934.png

My little overdue egg hatched this afternoon. I thought this egg was due to hatch Friday or Saturday but pipped Saturday and hatched less than an hour ago. A bit of sac is still attached by the thin clear-ish umbilical cord. It doesn't appear to have any blood or fluid going through the cord. Do I snip it? I'm worried about the tension on her navel dragging it around the incubator, She is very active and very vocal. Should I wrap her up? Or just let her drag it around until its dry? I've never had this happen before.
View attachment 3530132
Is that her yolk sack? If so she still really needs to absorbe it. I wouldn’t cut it, but instead put her in a cup and let it dry off.

Is that her yolk sack? If so she still really needs to absorb it. I wouldn’t cut it, but instead put her in a cup and let it dry off.
Yes. I was surprised to see it still attached since I'm assuming, according to my dates, that she was "overdue." I put her in a cup back inside the incubator. Hopefully she will be ok. She's quite lively.

Cut it but DO NOT make the mistake of pulling or tugging anything. A quick snip.
It may not help but it will prevent something worse happening.

Cut it but DO NOT make the mistake of pulling or tugging anything. A quick snip.
It may not help but it will prevent something worse happening.
What happens if it separates but is left with some tissue sticking out…. I’ve been reading comments and other posts with pics and the chicks born with worse conditions than mine. This keet has a very small piece of tissue from where it was connected in the egg sticking out…. I haven’t incubated eggs in a long time… and I’ve had to deal with purchasing keets developing pasting butt and then losing them. I’m trying to mindful and aware of what is happening… any advice would be appreciated. Keet is super active, and doesn’t have any signs of not being well so far. It hatched a day and half ago… I’ll be moving them to the brooder today.

What happens if it separates but is left with some tissue sticking out…. I’ve been reading comments and other posts with pics and the chicks born with worse conditions than mine. This keet has a very small piece of tissue from where it was connected in the egg sticking out…. I haven’t incubated eggs in a long time… and I’ve had to deal with purchasing keets developing pasting butt and then losing them. I’m trying to mindful and aware of what is happening… any advice would be appreciated. Keet is super active, and doesn’t have any signs of not being well so far. It hatched a day and half ago… I’ll be moving them to the brooder today.
Not sure exactly what you're asking.
You have a key that hatched a day and a half ago and it's still in the incubator and it hasn't absorbed everything yet?
Can you post a clear picture of its rear end?

Pasty butt issues and freshly hatched birds is usually a sign of the bruder being too hot, but it can also be too cold but more than likely too hot.

You have a key that hatched a day and a half ago and it's still in the incubator and it hasn't absorbed everything yet?

Pasty butt issues and freshly hatched birds is usually a sign of the bruder being too hot, but it can also be too cold but more than likely too hot.

Attachments

• IMG_9927.jpeg
    IMG_9927.jpeg
    395.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9928.jpeg
    IMG_9928.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9929.jpeg
    IMG_9929.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 12

I’m able to get a better look at it now… it doesn’t have any issues with its butt lol… it’s just that piece of cord that is there does get feces on it… I think that is what I’m mainly concerned about… I didn’t know if it was something that would just fall once hatched…

Back
Top Bottom