Should toe be treated?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MEMama3, Nov 3, 2013.

1. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I noticed today that my 7 month old buff orp has a crooked toe. I'm not sure when it happened. I'm wondering if the reason she stopped laying awhile back is because she broke it. I never noticed any limping or change in behavior. Anyways, it was noticed today and it isn't bothering her at all. She is walking normally and scratching as normal. Should I try to fix it or just leave it be?

2. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    At this age (7 months) if the toe doesn't seem to be bothering her, I would just leave it be.

If a chick were to hatch with crooked toes I would try to straighten them with "shoes", but by 7 months the toe is not as malleable and trying to make changes will likely fail, and annoy the bird.

As long as she is doing everything normally, I would just ignore it. [​IMG]

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You probably won't be able to fix it at this age. If a chick has a crooked toe at hatch, you can sometimes fix it. But, by now, it will be permanently set in that position. She'll probably be fine with the crooked toe-- one of my friends has a bird with very badly curled toes, and she's lived a long, happy life.

4. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by