Should We Be Afraid Of Giving Fresh Raw Eggs To The Flock?

MasAhora

Songster
7 Years
Nov 20, 2016
Paraguay
Many folks won't feed their hens excess eggs to prevent unwanted egg-eater problems, which is quite reasonable. I, however, have not had that problem in the last 3 or so years I've been feeding back both cooked and (increasingly) raw eggs.
Perhaps because they are free range?

I no longer clip their wing and so they can jump fences as they wish, but they tend to stick to their area of around 2-3 acres. My flock of 50+ is also back to a more manageable 20+ and I still have excess eggs! So I've gone from feeding-back crushed boiled eggs occasionally to leaving out 2 bowls where I crack and drop 'fresh' eggs almost daily in recent months. Often these are eggs I won't bring in the house because they were laid outside my accepted beds that are cleared daily.
We've had almost no rain and our days are hot with gusty-hot winds, very very unusual! I still do not have an unwanted egg eating problem (touch-wood!) but I am noticing the raw egg bowls being cleaned out in double time!
A family member commented the other day how well they were looking and I notice less problems even with my weaker hens (my pets who surprise-hatched from a pullet who'd just started laying and hid her nest of very small eggs!).

The improvement wasn't as noticeable 6 months after reducing the flock size, they always chose live as two separate flocks (one roosting in a huge tree so no overcrowding), but it certainly is after feeding back the raw eggs near on 6 months. Whatever the science... neither flock reduction nor fresh raw eggs have harmed the 2 Egg-Song Gangs but made them eggceptional!!

My oldest girl, now 7+ years loves her raw egg treat and diligently heads to lay an egg almost daily, I suspect she steals other eggs regularly (she is the queen of hiding eggs under her wings when broody) but she is back to hopping the fences whenever she wants. It's a pleasure to watch.

Perhaps, in some circumstances like free-range, we shouldn't be so reluctant to share back their eggs raw?

I would never feed them raw eggs, even less just toss the eggs as treat, as this apart from the possible transmission of pathogenic germs just teaches them to eat their own eggs whenever obtainable.

But I do feed them their own eggs boiled or scrambled while molting.

I would never feed them raw eggs, even less just toss the eggs as treat, as this apart from the possible transmission of pathogenic germs just teaches them to eat their own eggs whenever obtainable.

But I do feed them their own eggs boiled or scrambled while molting.
Yes this is what I've read and read and read, but am yet to see unfold... the risk seems rather low after so much time.
I feed cats raw food I prepare and many claim there is the risk of pathogenic germs as well (we must cook everything and kill the nutrients!). I also see chickens eat chicken poo and some fairly gross things laying around in the hot sun. I see cats go at a carcass over days!

Yet whenever my hens or cats were ill or affected its been by something else like mites, pox, renal failure from bad diets by previous owners, etc... But now even the weakest seem to be thriving. Family body builders consume raw eggs in their smoothies, I've had many in an egg-nog and I LOVE raw sushi and Biltong... this is why I wonder if there is an over statement about germs at the expense of the vitamins and amino acids NOT destroyed by cooking.

Back
Top Bottom