Should we free range if we have hawks?

IF you have hawks?
Birds of prey are in all corners of the globe. If someone says they have hawks, I say, "so does everyone else". And you likely have all variety of other predators depending on where you live. If you are on a small island, you may have few predators other than dogs and cats. But in most places, there are lots of predators afoot whether they've been seen or not.

People speak of predators as singular entities. People always say, "I caught it", as if a predator appears by spontaneous generation. If you see one, there are many. Predators don't come in ones. They don't appear out of thin air. They have mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, aunts, uncles, cousins, et. al.. If you kill a predator, it will be replaced by another - or many others. I never see raccoons here until they show up in leg traps or in the form of dead chickens if I don't get a building locked by dusk. On my game cams, it looks like a raccoon, coyote, mink, opossum superhiway here after dark.

Everyone's situation is different. How many birds, one's geographic location, how much property, roosters or only hens. If I had a few chickens, I would keep them from free ranging unless I'm present. But I have multiple flocks and it isn't feasible or desirable to have them all confined. Prior to having good roosters running with each flock, I would occasionally lose a bird to a hawk. Prior to having extremely wary breeds, I would have a bird taken by a fox. Now I rarely lose a bird to a terrestrial predator (a coyote attack took a rooster a couple years ago). I haven't lost a bird to a hawk in the last 10 years.
All my birds free range every day whether I'm here or not. The selection of breed and the number of roosters allows me to do so with few or no concerns.

20170223_164326.jpg

Last edited:
I free range my hens, we live right next to the forest and I have seen hawks take away little house sparrows right in my neighbor's lawn. If you can't at least try to do some supervised free range even though it might not make a difference.

I think free ranging would depend on how you feel about losing a chicken?
I have 4 chickens and am very protective. The person I got them from free ranged a large flock and his comment about it was "yeah, you lose some."
As well, I was out one day cleaning early this spring what was going to be my duck house and decided to let the chickens out of their secure coop/run into the not so secure run. I had let them out for not even 15 min, when I looked up to see a hawk circling and eyeing them. I was about 10 feet away - outside of their run. :eek:
Hawks do not care how close you are.
There is a byc member who posted a vid of him cleaning out his coop and his chickens running towards him alarmingly only to bat at a hawk that was chasing a chicken mere inches from him.
So, yeah, it is all about how you view potential loss of free ranged chickens.

People speak of predators as singular entities. People always say, "I caught it", as if a predator appears by spontaneous generation. If you see one, there are many. Predators don't come in ones. They don't appear out of thin air. They have mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, aunts, uncles, cousins, et. al.. If you kill a predator, it will be replaced by another - or many others. I never see raccoons here until they show up in leg traps or in the form of dead chickens if I don't get a building locked by dusk. On my game cams, it looks like a raccoon, coyote, mink, opossum superhiway here after dark.

:goodpost: :old :goodpost:

@ChickenCanoe you pretty much summed up how to best manage a free ranging flock.
Add to that spaces for chickens to hide/get away from predators, and time, experience and maturity.
Even my coddled and naive hens understand as they get older they can hide from a perceived threat.
If you have just a few chickens a persons risk tolerance is a lot lower.

X2
As for places to hide, that picture is the only large open patch of ground. The rest is garden beds, fruit trees and lots of brush and shrubs. It is a beautiful thing to see when the roosters spot a hawk and make the aerial predator call. The hens all scurry into cover and the roosters stand their ground facing the oncoming threat. They can see the hawk from afar long before I could. Usually the hawks will wisely rethink it and fly on but I have seen one dive only to be met in the air by the rooster and be taken down.

Back
Top Bottom