Should we kill it? How?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by maymay8, Feb 18, 2009.

1. maymay8

maymay8 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    So our chick that we think has crookneck is getting worse. It is day three of him not being able to hold his head up except to eat. It is fully upside down and he can only walk backwards. Now my husband says he's scratching his head and face with his legs and wings, breaking off feathers. He is still eating and pooping alright.

What should we do? If it is time to kill him, how do we do it? (I'm being serious in asking this question. We have no idea how best to kill a chick, 2 months old).

thanks,
    Maggie

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

We just cut the head off with a sharp kitchen knife.
    Can you post a pic of the little guy in question?

3. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Post a pic BEFORE you cull the peep...

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
  5. maymay8

maymay8 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    Well in the time I posted this at work and drove home, my husband said the bird had started convulsing with stiff legs. It was time for it to go, so he used a broom handle on its neck and snapped it quickly. He snapped it a second time JUSt to make sure the poor little guy was dead. So no pics for me to post, but I'm confident the bird was beyond help. At first we thought it was a head injury, but now we're thinking neurological or disease. We're hoping not meraks (spelling?)...

Anyway, thanks for everyone's time. Guess all chicken owners face this dilema eventually...

Best,
    Maggie

6. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    Not to worry, Marek's doesn't cause stiffness or seizures.

7. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I am sorry.

8. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Sorry maymay8 - hope all your other clucks do great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by