Should we Show?

The Chickens' Maid

Crowing
14 Years
May 2, 2009
CT
We have two cockerels that we had to separate from the main flock because we had too many roosters in one place! They have their own coop now . . . we don't really know what to do with them, since we won't eat them or get rid of them
lol.png
. I was just wondering how much work goes into showing chickens or doing 4H with them? Ours are cross-breeds, so I'm thinking 4H. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Here's a picture of them!
30030_img_0877.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice roos! Love their colors, look like silkie crosses perhaps.

4-H showing as in fitting and showmanship?

4-H shows can be regular shows, as in for specific breeds and varieties, which I wouldn't recommend for these guys because they wouldn't fit a breed description (even through they are lovely)
but they can be shown for F&S and not get judged as a breed at a 4-H show. They'll just have a "fitting and showmanship judging only" tag on their cage, or something to the extent. The amount of work that goes into F&S is: making sure your bird is spotless (difficult but worthwhile,) knowing as much about the breed as you possibly can, knowing about poultry anatomy, different breeds, types of combs, and even different species of poultry such as turkeys, ducks and guineas. Of course, this is for the 16+ age group, and the criteria of knowledge for the younger age groups is much more simple.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me
smile.png

Anyways, 4-H is a great program, I hope you join!

Thanks! The parents are a silkie mom and Buff Orpington dad!

BlueMottie, thanks for all the info! If we do 4H, it'll probably be awhile before we start anything. The only thing that would definitely cut it off now is a medical issue. The boy in the foreground has a weird looking pupil. I posted on the Medical section, and someone suggested Ocular Mareks. I don't really know if that was the case or not (I think he could have been born with it), but I'm guessing it's better to be on the safe side with Mareks. What do you think? Could they be vaccinated?

30030_img_0865.jpg

Last edited:
The Chickens' Maid :

Thanks! The parents are a silkie mom and Buff Orpington dad!

BlueMottie, thanks for all the info! If we do 4H, it'll probably be awhile before we start anything. The only thing that would definitely cut it off now is a medical issue. The boy in the foreground has a weird looking pupil. I posted on the Medical section, and someone suggested Ocular Mareks. I don't really know if that was the case or not (I think he could have been born with it), but I'm guessing it's better to be on the safe side with Mareks. What do you think? Could they be vaccinated?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/30030_img_0865.jpg

Not a problem at all
smile.png

It could be genetic but there is always a chance it's from marek's. I don't know enough about the disease to tell you weather or not that is the case, you might want to google it. I don't suppose the other bird or their parents have irregular pupils it as well? If either of the parents do, the obviously it's genetic.
If neither the parents nor the sibling show signs of other malformities, then I'd use mom, dad or brother at the shows as the pupil problem would count against you.​

Back
Top Bottom