Shouldn't they all be laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JoyfulChaosMama, Oct 4, 2011.

1. JoyfulChaosMama

JoyfulChaosMama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    I have 18 hens, 17 of them are all about the same age - give or take a week or two - all around 26 weeks. We get 9-11 eggs a day right now. One of them is from our one older hen, I know this because she lays blue eggs. I also know for sure our cornish is laying because her eggs are smaller. The rest are all brown layers, so it would be very hard to tell who was laying - but, I'm inclined to think with them all being the same age and all good laying breeds (isa browns and red stars mostly, an odd barred rock or jersey giant, but mostly heavy layers) that I would be getting more eggs on a daily basis? I know they are not vending machines, etc...but it just seems logical to me?

2. centurion90

centurion90 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    Loxahatchee
    The best laying breeds put out about 4/5 eggs weekly so more than half the number of hens actually sounds about right

3. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I would think so. My production reds hardly ever miss a day. Could they be hiding them somewhere? Do they free range?

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes, ISA Browns, true ISAs and not something just called an ISA, will lay virtually everyday in their pullet year. Most lay in excess of 320 eggs their pullet year. So very much depends on the breeding of the Red Sex Links you have. Normally, a generic RSL will lay over 300 their pullet year. Other, large bodied fowl only lay 3 or 4 eggs per week, on average.

As fall is upon us and the days are getting much shorter, you'll have to decide whether adding a few hours of morning light, via a timer, is something you wish to do to maximize their output. You should also be very sure that their feed to top drawer, containing quality 18% protein, they are disease free and have plenty of fresh water always available. You'll also need to be sure you have no egg eaters and that they are laying in their boxes, not outside somewhere.

5. zumzumfoxy

zumzumfoxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    I dunno, my production Red is 5 months this month and hasn't laid yet, nor has my Speckled Sussex who's a week older nor our Easter Egger of the same age... I'm worried about 'em. My Amber star, my oldest EE and my mystery half-Silkie hybrid are already laying. Hell, that hybrid is laying -daily-! I was expecting 2 eggs a week from her.

6. JoyfulChaosMama

JoyfulChaosMama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    I do understand that there are so many variables involved here, and I am not 100% certain of their breed and such. I am certain where they are laying and that we have no egg eaters. One of my kids actually asked me this question and I thought it was worth asking here because it seems logical. I'm not planning on adding light, just going to let nature do her thing. Thanks for the replies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by