Show bird

sarah4hchickens

Chirping
Jan 4, 2020
I am purchasing a bantam wyandotte hen from this flock, to show in my 4-H show. How good are these birds?
780F1212-9053-4DEF-810B-E912B49EB8F1.jpeg

@sarah4hchickens do you have access to an APA book of standards? Your 4H office might have one you can look at. We have an APA book and it includes bantam and standard classes.

not sure where you are located, nor what your 4 h rules include for chickens. My 4 h kid has shown in our county fair for a few years, winning grand champion a few times in different classes. Kid has also had several that have never placed. Last year, one breed did not have the proper under coat/fluff color. We hadn’t paid attention to the standard, but after the judge pointed out that missing trait, we went home and discovered it in the standard. So, getting your hands on the standards will help you out a lot to understand what a breed should have and what they should NOT have, as disqualifications are listed.

It's difficult to tell from long shot photos. There may be defects or even disqualifications that aren't evident in the photos.

But at a glance, they look pretty good. So long as they are reasonably priced, I say go for it. Be sure to ask the age and source of these birds if you do decide to buy.

@sarah4hchickens do you have access to an APA book of standards? Your 4H office might have one you can look at. We have an APA book and it includes bantam and standard classes.

not sure where you are located, nor what your 4 h rules include for chickens. My 4 h kid has shown in our county fair for a few years, winning grand champion a few times in different classes. Kid has also had several that have never placed. Last year, one breed did not have the proper under coat/fluff color. We hadn’t paid attention to the standard, but after the judge pointed out that missing trait, we went home and discovered it in the standard. So, getting your hands on the standards will help you out a lot to understand what a breed should have and what they should NOT have, as disqualifications are listed.
Yup. I do have a copy of the standard. I got one for my birthday this year. It is so helpful!

It's difficult to tell from long shot photos. There may be defects or even disqualifications that aren't evident in the photos.

But at a glance, they look pretty good. So long as they are reasonably priced, I say go for it. Be sure to ask the age and source of these birds if you do decide to buy.
They are very reasonably priced. $20 for one single hen. I also know they are pretty nice birds with no dq’s, because they one the RCCL class at my state fair last year. I know the breeder, and I also know the line they are from. I think I’m gonna buy!

Back
Top Bottom