Show chick's Vs. Pet chick's?

GarretTrezona

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
Sorry everyone I want really sure where to post this. I am a noob and was just wondering what is the difference in pretty quality versus show quality? I mean, does it matter where you buy chick's from? Or how you raise them? What decides that?

"Pet quality" chickens are those which are not bred for show. Most chickens that hatcheries or feed stores sell are pet quality. These chickens are bred to lay eggs (so that hatcheries can sell lots of chicks), and less emphasis is placed on the conformation and appearance of the bird. Pet quality chickens may lack certain characteristics of a breed; for example, a pet quality Silkie chicken may have four toes, instead of the required five. Pet quality Rhode Island Reds will be a reddish-orange color, instead of the rich mahogany color of show-quality birds.

"Show quality" chickens are those bred for show. They are bred closely to the American Poultry Association Standard of Pefection. Show quality chickens do not lay as many eggs as pet quality birds in general, as more attention is paid to the appearance and conformation of a bird. Show quality birds fit, as closely as possible, the description of their breed and variety as found in the Standard of Perfection. Birds from show-quality parents are not necessarily show quality themselves; if they lack a breed characteristic, they are considered pet quality.

Hope this helps!

"Pet quality" chickens are those which are not bred for show. Most chickens that hatcheries or feed stores sell are pet quality. These chickens are bred to lay eggs (so that hatcheries can sell lots of chicks), and less emphasis is placed on the conformation and appearance of the bird. Pet quality chickens may lack certain characteristics of a breed; for example, a pet quality Silkie chicken may have four toes, instead of the required five. Pet quality Rhode Island Reds will be a reddish-orange color, instead of the rich mahogany color of show-quality birds.

"Show quality" chickens are those bred for show. They are bred closely to the American Poultry Association Standard of Pefection. Show quality chickens do not lay as many eggs as pet quality birds in general, as more attention is paid to the appearance and conformation of a bird. Show quality birds fit, as closely as possible, the description of their breed and variety as found in the Standard of Perfection. Birds from show-quality parents are not necessarily show quality themselves; if they lack a breed characteristic, they are considered pet quality.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! I think I got it now.

"Show quality" chickens are those bred for show. They are bred closely to the American Poultry Association Standard of Pefection. Show quality chickens do not lay as many eggs as pet quality birds in general, as more attention is paid to the appearance and conformation of a bird. Show quality birds fit, as closely as possible, the description of their breed and variety as found in the Standard of Perfection. Birds from show-quality parents are not necessarily show quality themselves; if they lack a breed characteristic, they are considered pet quality.

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom