Show Day Prep Routine

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bnemeth, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Bnemeth

Bnemeth In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    How does everyone prepare their birds for show? Any "tricks" to make their feathers look the best?

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    I wash them with dandruff shampoo. Scrub feet with a toothbrush and soapy water. I blow-dry the silkies, towel-dry the other birds. let them sit in a cage in a sunny place until they are fully dry. I'll dust a few days before, to make sure that there are no lice or nits. [​IMG]

3. chickensRcute

chickensRcute In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    DeBeque
    We wash them in Woolite and in the rinse water put just a dash of vinegar, it makes sure the soap is off of the feathers so they don't clump together! We also dust them a week or so in advance for bug removal. We also scrub their feet and legs with a soft tooth brush to remove the gunk.[​IMG] You wont need a lot of soap so don't go crazy when you pour in the soap! Take a clean soft micro cloth to the show and shine up your birds feathers before you show them. This is another thing to take, non alcohol baby wipes too! If they get something on them you can wipe it off! Make sure to wash them the day before you take them to the show so that they will dry in enough time for the show if you don't blow dry them!

#1 three buckets with warm water not hot!!(one for wetting, one for soap, one for rinse: vinegar in the last, just a splash not alot) Use a soft toothbrush to clean legs and comb and wattles!
    #2 towels or blow dryer
    #3 soft micro fiber cloth for shining right before the show!
    #4 non alcohol baby wipes, for gunk off of them before show!
    #5 don't forget to smile![​IMG]

Some places have rules that you can't shine your birds comb or wattles with petroleum jelly and some don't! We have a rule so we can't do that!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by