Show me... Pictures of PUPPIES!

I am very involved in the merle chihuahua so perhaps I can shine some light on things.The merle color is 100% accepted by the AKC and Can KC. The standard calls for any color marked or splashed. Splashed pretty accurately describes the merle pattern don't you think? they have however banned the merles with blue eyes to be shown in conformation but they can still be fully registered. There are pictures of merles in chihuahua books dating back to the early 1900's. There is no more of a problem breeding merle chis than any other breed with merles in it. It is always bad practice to breed merle to merle. The breeders I know including myself who choose to breed the merle gene produce very high quality dogs that fall well within the standard and go on to become champions. That is more than can be said for most people breeding their pets together. There is a really great forum that has great info on the merle chi at www.merlechihuahua.proboards24.com if you are interested in learning more and seeing some gorgeous bred to standard dogs as well! Thanks for reading my long post!

I also wanted to add that in the past few years many poor breeders have started breeding the merle color as well. They are breeding dogs that do not meet breed standard, or come anywhere close to it to that matter just so they can sell the puppies for outrageous prices. This has surely involved people breeing outside of the chihuahua breed and introducing dachshunds, and rat terriers. This however IS NOT how the pattern was introduced into the breed. The Chihuahua Club of America has voted multiple times to disqualify the coloring and is has been voted down ever time because they have yet to prove untrue bloodlines. Dogs can be genetically tested for mixes and every merle dog they have tested has come out pure chihuahua. So there are ethical merle breeders out there doing everything they can to prove the merle gene is safe (obviously as long as merles aren't bred together) and shine the truth on the subject and yet I am always seeing aussie breeders and dachshund breeders carelessly breeding there dogs and not worrying about it. Correct me if I'm wrong but a person on here bred two merle aussies together recently and ended up with genetic problems? An ethical chihuahua breeder or an educated one even would NEVER let an "accident" like that happen.

*** Wanted to add sorry about the long post, I am just VERY passionate about this subject, and it is hard for me when people have the wrong information. I am trying to do nothing more than educate people about this gorgeous color in this wonderful breed!***

Last edited:
I did not mean to imply breeding merle chihuahuas held any different risks from breeding merles of other breeds...I was refering to the merle gene in general. I happen to love merles!

I was not aware that merle was accepted by the AKC.......I was always told it was not recognized. That's my bad...sorry!

I'm sure I did but I didn't mean to come off as being rude. 95% of the people I hear from are misinformed and that can be hard. It's like merle racism, lol! There is even alot of misinformation among breeders and some that just won't accept them at all which is fine. I just wish people would educate themselves and read both sides before coming to a conclusion instead of going off what someone else says. And in that respect I am speaking more of people who are involved in the breed, not just the average dog lover off the street! So I appologize if I came off harshly.

No worries
smile.png
Many people don't undestand the merle gene at all. I knew someone who bred aussies who repeatedly bred merles together and claimed they had no issues and I didn't know what I was talking about and genetics isn't 100%.................I think she was nuts...I also think they didn't keep track of the puppies at all or test for deafness or anything.... Double merles usually aren't even marked well for show, so it doesn't even help you to breed merles to one-another to get more merles. Ok I'll get off my soapbox now.....lol

Back
Top Bottom