Show me/ tell me abt your micro/mini homestead

Pics
I am loving my boys more and more...they are the best...

But I really really am looking for a milking doe....

Maybe...perhaps...🤣🤣

And a lady at work wants me to hatch and raise some ducks for her so she can eat them...

Which is fine...kinda...but I likely will not get paid for this...so I am thinking of just telling her our male no longer exists 😆🤦‍♀️😆
Tell her that it's $_.__ per duck to raise, and you need payment on hatch day to buy their feed. If she backs out on hatch day, you could probably still get something for ducklings

I am loving my boys more and more...they are the best...

But I really really am looking for a milking doe....

Maybe...perhaps...🤣🤣

And a lady at work wants me to hatch and raise some ducks for her so she can eat them...

Which is fine...kinda...but I likely will not get paid for this...so I am thinking of just telling her our male no longer exists 😆🤦‍♀️😆
Do you want milk or milk and lots of butterfat?

Tell her that it's $_.__ per duck to raise, and you need payment on hatch day to buy their feed. If she backs out on hatch day, you could probably still get something for ducklings
Shes elderly and as much as my heart wants to help her...
I can't keep up with providing others food from the Acre and not charging, and I don't think she can afford the charge tbh.

It's why I wanted to help her to begin with ...however as my 15yo puts it...I can't be everyone's grocery store 🤣🤣

I have set a goal to worry abt my family and get my family provided for first and then maybe in a yr or two step into helping others if it's not too much on the bank account.

We only have an acre of land. We have two female goats for milk, 12 hens who lay between 8-12 eggs a day, some rabbits for their manure, a greenhouse for growing food 10 months out the year. The upfront cost was for the coop, the cost of the goats and chickens. It's been less than a year and we are starting to recoup what we put into the little homestead. We also live 1/3 a mile from some of the best fishing in the country. We get a deer in the fall. It's been great. We use an automatic opener for the chickens, we have all the pens, coops, and run surrounded by 5 strands of electrical fence on a solar system. We have bears and lots of other predators. We have cameras with lights in the coop, run and with the goats. I have an album here with the coop construction.

We only have an acre of land. We have two female goats for milk, 12 hens who lay between 8-12 eggs a day, some rabbits for their manure, a greenhouse for growing food 10 months out the year. The upfront cost was for the coop, the cost of the goats and chickens. It's been less than a year and we are starting to recoup what we put into the little homestead. We also live 1/3 a mile from some of the best fishing in the country. We get a deer in the fall. It's been great. We use an automatic opener for the chickens, we have all the pens, coops, and run surrounded by 5 strands of electrical fence on a solar system. We have bears and lots of other predators. We have cameras with lights in the coop, run and with the goats. I have an album here with the coop construction.

Nice to read abt someone else with an acre making it work for them!!! I have found we can do a good bit on the property and am thankful for thr opportunities...

We are fixing on butchering the hogs end of March!!!

My new chicks should be coming in 2 wks. I am trying the new hampshire reds this year and have high hopes on both the meat and eggs harvested. I am abt to put up my 3rd half gallon jar of water glassed eggs for the yr so far.

I am making plans to reach out to the farm I got our goats from and ask it they will have a momma and baby for sale so we can start our milking journey.

I have managed an active sour dough starter so that has been so fun!!! Anyone hear on the sour dough train?

And I have abt 200 plants started for our garden this yr (not all will be planted..choosing the best of the best.) I am acclimating them already.... slowly but surely...

Starting year 2 of my own micro/mini/urban homestead! We live smack dab in the outer layers of the city, a fairly urban community. I've lived in this house forever, and we've been wanting to leave for a more rural area, but that's just not in the cards at the moment, so we decided to make the most out of our little property!

Started the garden last year and raised a few chickens for eggs. It was a great success last year, so this year we're expanding it! Plotting out another section for a garden in the front yard and started breeding and hatching chicks for a larger flock to start selling chicks and eggs. I'm currently preparing to build a second coop for our pullets to roam in. My living room has become a plant nursery and a chick hatchery. Lol.

I'm also lucky to have such amazing neighbors, was worried when one of our first four chicks which had been sexed as being all hens turned out to have a rooster. Turns out my next door neighbor that the coop is backed up against actually loves hearing the crowing!

Back
Top Bottom