Show me/ tell me abt your micro/mini homestead

Are they very loud typically? Or just when they get excited or upset?
Naaa..I don't think they are loud...
They bark when they get startled which I find funny 🤣🤣🤣

But I don't hear them much at all...

We raise during winter bc they are kinda close to the house and with the cold...they don't smell ...

But go too far into may...and you'll start smelling them 🤣🤣

I was looking into smaller (lol, as if pigs could possibly be small) breeds and was astounded by how big even the 'mini' breeds were. I found 3 (admittedly rare) breeds that I liked so far, the trick now if i decide to add then to the list will be finding breeders

Naaa..I don't think they are loud...
They bark when they get startled which I find funny 🤣🤣🤣

But I don't hear them much at all...

We raise during winter bc they are kinda close to the house and with the cold...they don't smell ...

But go too far into may...and you'll start smelling them 🤣🤣
Yeah, I "planned" on my paper to have a pair of females or a breeding trio (again, depending on just what all breeding entails) per breed, with lots of room to try and keep the smell less absurd

I was looking into smaller (lol, as if pigs could possibly be small) breeds and was astounded by how big even the 'mini' breeds were. I found 3 (admittedly rare) breeds that I liked so far, the trick now if i decide to add then to the list will be finding breeders
Which ones??
I haven't looked much into different breeds...I pretty well found what I was looking for and went to find a breeder...

But, again...I wasn't looking for pets or to breed for others...

Although I'd love to be able to breed and sell feeders...its just not in the books for us and our little piece of paradise lol

Which ones??
I haven't looked much into different breeds...I pretty well found what I was looking for and went to find a breeder...

But, again...I wasn't looking for pets or to breed for others...

Although I'd love to be able to breed and sell feeders...its just not in the books for us and our little piece of paradise lol
Mangalica is a big one. If I have any pigs at all, I will have some of these. Admittedly huge amd slower growing,, but they have a novelty too with their wooly hides.

I also (of course) like the Yucatan Hairless, but I guess that one was mainly bred for research and no longer is kept commonly in the US at all.

The Ossbow Island hog sounds neat as well, and I like their look. I like the more 'feral' look of those longer snouts.

But I will be the first to admit I know almost nothing right now about raising pigs

I'd definitely research temperament of these breeds...vs their looks...

Only bc pigs can be down right nasty sometimes...

Like any thing else though, it's also personality of the individual...

I will NOT let my kids put their hands or bodies in these pigs pen, where as our other loved coming up to the fence for scratches and belly rubs...

But i think the more you have the more they act like pigs vs pets...🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ (that's been my experience in the whole 2x I've raised them 🤣🤣)

Temperament sells me on everything

I'd definitely research temperament of these breeds...vs their looks...

Only bc pigs can be down right nasty sometimes...

Like any thing else though, it's also personality of the individual...

I will NOT let my kids put their hands or bodies in these pigs pen, where as our other loved coming up to the fence for scratches and belly rubs...

But i think the more you have the more they act like pigs vs pets...🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ (that's been my experience in the whole 2x I've raised them 🤣🤣)

Temperament sells me on everything
The wooly pigs seem to be the most friendly of the 3. I've seen some farms call them doglike and mild tempered. Behavior will definitely be the main factor on deciding if I end up keeping males. Rams are scary enough, and they're herbivores.

Has anyone got experience raising pigs on here?
I keep a few pigs. Right now I have an American guinea hog that im going to breed. Just got rid of a butcher pig today. I love my guinea hog and absolutely hated that butcher pig. I had potbelly’s in the past, they got huge. They got into everything and ended up killing some kittens and chicks so I sold them off. I've also had Juliana pigs. Tiny little cuties. All were very friendly and smart except this last butcher pig. None were especially noisy, just squeal for food and if stressed hard from moving them etc.

I keep a few pigs. Right now I have an American guinea hog that im going to breed. Just got rid of a butcher pig today. I love my guinea hog and absolutely hated that butcher pig. I had potbelly’s in the past, they got huge. They got into everything and ended up killing some kittens and chicks so I sold them off. I've also had Juliana pigs. Tiny little cuties. All were very friendly and smart except this last butcher pig. None were especially noisy, just squeal for food and if stressed hard from moving them etc.
How is the Guinea hog? They caught my eye a few times looking at pictures.

Are you sending her off to be bred or borrowing a boar? Or is AI an option like with cattle?

Glad to hear that pigs don't seem to be super loud constantly.

Back
Top Bottom