Show me your DIY nestboxes, waterers, etc

shaylee

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 4, 2008
Hamilton, Il
I havent been on here very long, but have had chickens over a year now. I just made my own 5 gallon water containers so my chickens never run out. (I will take pics as soon as it stops raining and post them)

I also made my own feeders, 5 gallon bucket with a 1.5 inch hole on each third of the buckets bottom. Set in a hog watering pan, fill with feed and put the lid on. Feed runs out for the chickens. You can also place a orange cone in the center of the bucket before filling. (will also take pics)

Getting ready to make more nestboxes. Right now I have a cheap set of plastic shelves from wal mart, snapped together, on its side, and covered with a piece of plywood. They use it, but I want to make something a little better with more 'units' for laying.

Show us your homemade chicken stuff....Pictures are great too. I am a big do it yourselfer and know others on here are too.
cool.png

Hi there!
I don't know how many chickens you have, but I have 4. I used an old deep kitchen drawer. It is in the coop, but not under the roost. Everyone shares just fine! I have some Timothy Hay in the drawer and pine on the floor of the coop. I have girls of all different sizes and have found that they are very much like a cat making the perfect place to nap. Digging down to the bottom, turning in circles, checking out which way to face and pulling up grass strands and putting them over their backs! It is so cute! This whole process puts each girl in the box for about 30 minutes to an hour!
Cynthia

Oh yeah! I found from others that if you don't have may chickens one works out well, because they all want to use the same one. Just like kids-they have to have exactly what the other has!

Back
Top Bottom