Show me your duck coops! Update: also looking for duckling brooders

mrpekinduck

Songster
8 Years
Jun 29, 2011
Ducky Land!
Hi I already have a coop and run but will be building an addition onto my coop so I wanna see what all of yours look like to get some ideas!
Thanks!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quackmire Downs houses 13 ducks on the bottom. Roosts were added to the top at the demands of the 4 hens.

88997_bestfinalloonside.jpg

88997_inside.jpg

It boasts automatic waterers and a nesting box where the hens actually lay.

88997_perchnwater.jpg

88997_crazyloonposter.jpg

An ugly feed shed completes the compound.

88997_uglyshed.jpg

If fifty-year-old wood, pit liner, and tarps are cute, my coops are awful spiffy, too. Yeah, that should work. IF the ducks decide to actually go into it. It is a constant battle here, trying to get a dozen ducks into their coop every night. We have had completely free range ducks here before year round, and they do just fine. They typically do not mind the elements, just predators.

Just how do you get the ducks into their coop? We have two ponds, one shallow one from the spring house to the dam about 30'x 40' irregular and the second which was a pool and now is a pond. It's 50' x 30', 3' deep at the low end to 7" at the deep end. We have a floating duck house in the middle of the "pool" but no one seems interested. We had a pair of production Rouens and lost the duck a few nights ago to a predator. We thought for sure the floating duck house would do the trick; obviously not. we would be very willing to purchase a coop but how do we get the ducks to go in at night? Would they even be interested? Our friend brought us two hens to replace the lost one and they won't even look at the house. All three perch on it but won't go in.

It's a shame, we have a very secure bank barn and we have one of the stalls fixed up as a coop for the chickens but its almost 400' from the ponds and the chickens will not let the ducks near them. The hens are actually quite mean to the ducks. Also, the chickens automatically go into the barn and up their roosts at sun down every night. We'd gladly fix another stall for the ducks but they haven't ventured past the farm house which is half way between the barn and the ponds. Don't know how we'd get them to go in anyway.

Thanks for any feedback.

Alright Y'all, I am posting.
If a young'n says they ain't gonna give you their location: RESPECT AND ENCOURAGE THAT!
Even if said young'n points to their parental units as the reason for withholding said information. Not only are they being safe, minding their parents, and doing the right thing: Chicken Forum Or Not: this IS the Internet.
To the young'ns: GOOD JOB!
If you do feel the need to reply, a Temperate Zone (T-x) would answer the questions adequately.

Back
Top Bottom