Show me your duck coops!

That's so funny that they know which coop they're supposed to go to! I like to have every animal on my farm secured in a coop or barn at night that way I know they're safe. And you're right, I think if I had a chicken or duck actually out in the run at night, a predator would have more of a drive to try and get in. Since the chickens are in their coop all night, all he can do now is walk around and think about how he'd like a nice chicken dinner.
Ah ha but tonight one of the old girls went in with the younguns! I have no idea who it was but I'm sure she'll be fine with them. It is so cold here I guess maybe it froze her little brain or something. We have about 10 really awful cold days a year where I have to shut the water off so the pipes don't freeze. I just think of this when it's about 100° for weeks in a row.

Ah ha but tonight one of the old girls went in with the younguns! I have no idea who it was but I'm sure she'll be fine with them. It is so cold here I guess maybe it froze her little brain or something. We have about 10 really awful cold days a year where I have to shut the water off so the pipes don't freeze. I just think of this when it's about 100° for weeks in a row.

She did it just to spite you. :lau That's how my chickens are. As soon as I brag on them, they give me a reason to question their sanity.

It's FREEZING here this evening. Well, Florida freezing. I was out a little bit ago putting my barn cats and goats away for the night and my goat babies were nowhere to be found.. We're new goat owners, and our two babies are only three months old. So I start panicking... WHERE could these two little things be? They're always in the barn on their sleeping platform when I come to close the stall. So my husband and I start running through the pasture trying to see if they escaped or somehow got stuck somewhere. Still nothing, and all is quiet. We walk back into their stall, and my husband goes "you don't think they're under the sleeping platform, do you?" So I get down on my hands and knees, and way back in the corner are both of the goats. Those turds. I have chickens that are bigger than they are, but since they always run to us anytime we go out there, I didn't think they were in the stall. Those Florida goat babies are just chilly tonight, so they found a warmer spot to huddle up.

This is how I normally find them in the barn at night, and I never thought they could squeeze under that platform, haha!

IMG_1133.jpeg

She did it just to spite you. :lau That's how my chickens are. As soon as I brag on them, they give me a reason to question their sanity.

It's FREEZING here this evening. Well, Florida freezing. I was out a little bit ago putting my barn cats and goats away for the night and my goat babies were nowhere to be found.. We're new goat owners, and our two babies are only three months old. So I start panicking... WHERE could these two little things be? They're always in the barn on their sleeping platform when I come to close the stall. So my husband and I start running through the pasture trying to see if they escaped or somehow got stuck somewhere. Still nothing, and all is quiet. We walk back into their stall, and my husband goes "you don't think they're under the sleeping platform, do you?" So I get down on my hands and knees, and way back in the corner are both of the goats. Those turds. I have chickens that are bigger than they are, but since they always run to us anytime we go out there, I didn't think they were in the stall. Those Florida goat babies are just chilly tonight, so they found a warmer spot to huddle up.

This is how I normally find them in the barn at night, and I never thought they could squeeze under that platform, haha!

View attachment 2007464
that is the cutest thing ever! You've really got a beautiful place!

View attachment 2007464
That picture is priceless:love

That picture is priceless:love

Thanks! They're sweet babies (most of the time)! The white goat, Navi, doesn't look so derpy usually. She was half asleep in that picture, it was nap time apparently!

I went out this morning and they were still under that platform. It was in the mid 30s overnight and currently 44 degrees. I know most northerners are rolling their eyes at me, but we are COLD! They reluctantly crawled out once they heard me pouring their grain.

The chickens, on the other hand, are loving the cold! They take the cold temps in stride, and since we have very few chilly days, I think they look forward to them. Now they heat, they could live without. Especially my huge orpington hens.

I wonder if ducks will be affected by the heat. Although they can swim, so that may benefit them in the summer.

Thanks! They're sweet babies (most of the time)! The white goat, Navi, doesn't look so derpy usually. She was half asleep in that picture, it was nap time apparently!

I went out this morning and they were still under that platform. It was in the mid 30s overnight and currently 44 degrees. I know most northerners are rolling their eyes at me, but we are COLD! They reluctantly crawled out once they heard me pouring their grain.

The chickens, on the other hand, are loving the cold! They take the cold temps in stride, and since we have very few chilly days, I think they look forward to them. Now they heat, they could live without. Especially my huge orpington hens.

I wonder if ducks will be affected by the heat. Although they can swim, so that may benefit them in the summer.
Yes, I think swimming helps tremendously with hot weather. Sometimes when it's really hot they stay in the pool all day and just float around, sleep, poop! That means more cleaning of the pool but I'm hoping to remedy that a bit at least with our "new plan".

Oh, and if you can keep the pool out of the sun it will help a lot because algae will grow all over the pool in just a day in the sun. I literally have to take a scrubby sponge and clean the pools every single day so it doesn't build up. I'm going to try a tarp on the run's roof over the pools this summer and see if that helps some. They love a clean pool so much but it takes them about 5 minutes to muck it up.

Have you visited the Back yard Herds forum? I am a Florida native it can feel very cold in Florida.

I've read a bunch there, but for goat related topics, I mainly stick to the goat spot forum. It seems more active.

I'm not used to this kind of chill. I think this is the first REALLY cold day we've had since we moved to this property. Normally I don't have to get out so early, but now that we have goats, it's a must!

I've read a bunch there, but for goat related topics, I mainly stick to the goat spot forum. It seems more active.

I'm not used to this kind of chill. I think this is the first REALLY cold day we've had since we moved to this property. Normally I don't have to get out so early, but now that we have goats, it's a must!
We used to live in Destin, FL on the panhandle. I saw a snowflake there once!❄

We used to live in Destin, FL on the panhandle. I saw a snowflake there once!❄

We've had "snow" exactly twice. Once sometime in 1989 or 1990 I think (according to my parents) and once in 2009 when my son was just a baby. We built the tiniest snowman you could imagine. So, twice in the 30 years since I was born. Although I think snow is the most beautiful thing ever, I'm not sure I could live in it.

Back
Top Bottom