Show me your emu pens!

We are finally busy constructing our emu shelter. Please note this is just for nights and inclement weather. They free range 3 acres during the day. We have trained them to go in at night by feeding them. They are still small and we have coyote, bobcats, raccoons, etc.

Here's what we did. We bought two chain link kennels. The emu side is 6x10 and the goat side is 10x10. The only divider between the two enclosures is the chain link. They are all good buddies and play together all day so I thought they would like to be able to see each other at night. It will also improve ventilation.

The plan was to butt the kennels up to the end of the barn, build T1-11 sides and paint to match the barn and add a tin roof.

Here it is under construction. We plan to leave the fronts open with just the chain link and gates.

34566_enclosures.jpg

Here is the emu side. Please ignore the chickens. They have no boundaries.

34566_enclosures-2.jpg

This is the goat side. All tarps, boards, and chain link tops will be removed once the sides and roof are up.

34566_enclosures-3.jpg

This is a photoshopped pic showing what it will look like painted to match the barn and with a tin roof.

34566_enclosures-4a.jpg

I'll post more as we progress. It is nice to just leave the enclosures open during the day for extra shade. We don't have a lot of trees.

Quote:
I'd like to know this too. I have an area (about 25x75 feet) that's fenced with 6 foot fencing. The rest of the property (5 acres) is fenced with 4 foot fencing. I'd like to know if the four foot fencing is adequate or if the birds will have to be kept in the 6 foot fence when I'm not at home.

-S

Back
Top Bottom