Show me your nest boxes! + some questions

This is really a lovely, well thought out coop! And I am a sucker for red :) I also like that you've taken into account when others might have to help with the chickens. I hadn't thought of that. One thing that concerns me with ours, is the size. It is 8x20. We have 26 chickens, but wondering if we should have gone smaller so that they would be warmer in winter when they roost. I guess we'll see in our first winter this year. What a sweet pic of your daughter! 🥰

Thank you,
The one thing I have learned since I built this coop is that I would go way bigger if I had the space. It will NOT be an issue for us now, as we live on a 1/4 acre lot in the middle of the suburbs. Also, our township ordinance only allows us to keep 6 chickens. I think you were wise to go bigger.

No. Chickens keep themselves warm with their built-in down parkas.

We just need to keep them dry and out of the wind.

Plenty of ventilation up high, above their heads when they're sitting on the roost, is keep to keeping them dry because warm, moist air rises and escapes. :)
Thank you! That is our situation with the vents. Good to know we did that right. 👍

I built my coop/nest boxes (from looking at builds here...I'm an old woman and never built a thing in my life :) I have my coop in an inclosed/covered run (a dog kennel with roof) so no rain will get on my nest boxes. I made them after the fact and just cut a hole in the side of my coop and inserted it...my girls aren't laying yet, but I'm hopeful they will like them :) I don't seem to be able to attach pictures, oddly.

1630146825513.jpeg
These are the boxed I use. I really like then cause I can easily take the down to wash. The black bar in front lifts up to block part of the opening if you want to block use at night. I bought them from my local farm store for $18.95.

View attachment 2814178These are the boxed I use. I really like then cause I can easily take the down to wash. The black bar in front lifts up to block part of the opening if you want to block use at night. I bought them from my local farm store for $18.95.
I also have these. My Orps don’t use them but all the other gals do. I think they might be a touch small for the big breeds. I took off that black “perch” and have a 2x4 running across the front. Black things were flimsy.

We've decided to use these buckets that our local feed supply store gets in with product. They are supposed to be saving us some! They are pretty heavy duty and the lid opening doesn't quite go all the way across the top - will be perfect if we end up wanting to close them at night and open during the day. And the top part that doesn't open will keep the nesting material and eggs in place. Dan is going to build a frame for them 🥰 Repurposing and the price is excellent - free! 👏👏👏

Attachments

• 20210913_185242.jpg
    20210913_185242.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom