Show me your poop traps!

I have some ryegrass growing (with the help of a forage board) under the roost bar where my chickens sleep (one mama hen and 5 chicks, 8 weeks old). Nearly each day I hose down the poop to break it up and let it dissolve into the grass/ dirt.

As the chicks grow and the poops grow, this might not be sustainable and i might lay some sort of droppings tray on the ground under them so I can easily pull it out of the coop and hose it off in the yard.

I'm getting sick of cleaning poop the hard way! I'm ready to upgrade and simplify! I haven't seen to many poop catchers aside from a hanging tarp, so what are my options? What do you use!?

Attachments

• 709A9891-0C68-4FAB-820F-A72FCFA7086D.jpeg
    709A9891-0C68-4FAB-820F-A72FCFA7086D.jpeg
    403.2 KB · Views: 25
See, i thought about filling the coop floor with sand. Figured that would be way easier cleanup than the typical hay/straw. My coop floor is also dirt. I dont want to put to much into my current coop as i will be building a new one, but figured sand would be much easier clean up for now. My roosts are corner roosts, so i figured building some kind of poop catcher would be a little more challenging. I just know im sick of changing hay and shoveling compacted crap and wet hay. I did the deep litter method throughout winter, and that was hell to clean out!
I use wood chips with the deep litter method. I’ve never had a problem spring or fall cleaning. No clumping, I just sweep into large dust pan and am done in no time.

I have some ryegrass growing (with the help of a forage board) under the roost bar where my chickens sleep (one mama hen and 5 chicks, 8 weeks old). Nearly each day I hose down the poop to break it up and let it dissolve into the grass/ dirt.

As the chicks grow and the poops grow, this might not be sustainable and i might lay some sort of droppings tray on the ground under them so I can easily pull it out of the coop and hose it off in the yard.
Do you have a pic? I'm intrigued!

I just have plywood under my roosts and use a metal dustpan to scrape up every morning.
Then off to the compost it goes. It works for me

My main hen coop is raised and has a 1 inch wire mesh floor. I have placed corrugated sheet metal sheets under the coop, slightly overlapping. Once a season I use a board with a hook on it, screw the sheet metal end to the board and put a chain on the hook and to the back of my yard tractor. I then pull the sheet around the apple orchard on low speed and shovel off a scoop here and there to fertilize the trees. It is a two person job but no one has to shovel out the whole coop.

My other 'ground' coops get turned over with a pitch fork and fresh bedding added. I try my best not to buy bedding for this. I have a ton of large fir trees on my land so I rake up all the dead needles from under the trees and put that in the coop and turn it over anytime it gets compacted. Also if you know any tree removal people ask them to dump their chipper loads for you. It makes great bedding.
I like it! :D

Back
Top Bottom