Show me your quail pens!!!

I build a lot of these little hoop house pens too...maybe this will help some folks on ideas

I have owned chickens on and off for several years and am back at it. But then I decided that I "need" some quail as well. Remodeling rabbit cages that were given to me. I think I used almost the same amount of materials/supplies as it would have taken to build my own. But I think it helped get the gears going in my head. Used free scrap shed pieces for roof.

In progress...

Finished one.

Just got my first ten quail yesterday morning. They looked pretty rough (from overcrowded pen). But are already perking up and can see the start of new feathers on there backsides. I have a 1:4 ratio. Do they look too cramped?
[/IMG]

I made mine from PVC and it's modular. I can add levels to it. I would have a poop catcher between each level of the same material as the roof of my rabbit hutch that is easily cleanable.

Obviously this is before we added the birds! I'm working on getting new pictures of them in it. I know the big question will be about that ramp! Yes, they use it. They love it actually. A few walk up and down casually, a few take it at a run and Merle Haggard likes to fly up it ( you expected less from a bird named after Merle Haggard?) The inside has food and water and napping areas and that little balcony is where they crow and beg for treats. I've also added solar lights for nighttime bug hunting. Funny part is that they love love love the windows! Everytime I go to peek at them, they're peeking at me! Already planning our next coop.......

Good Morning,

Tried getting new photos with the birds in the coop last night and I got photo bombed over and over and over! So unless someone is interested in pictures with a bunch of tiny heads sticking up, I'll add a few more from the pre bird phase!

They can go from inside to either the second floor veranda or the third floor balcony. If someone gets crazy on the third floor, they wind up over the side back to the second floor. A few do this for fun. The third floor seems to be the favorite spot for a good first thing in the morning crowing.

The inside will be finished this weekend with proper food and water dispensers, going with the exterior pvc design again with a few minor design flaw corrections. I love how everytime you design a new coop you find those little things to tweak that make the birds happy and makes the humans happy.

I think the next one is going to be a mid century modern/prarie style since they love porches and windows so much.

Can't wait to see more pictures from everyone else! Keep posting!

Back
Top Bottom