Show me your quail pens

When we had bobwhite we built raised pens for them.
Up on timbers at a comfortable height for us to access and feed/care for them.
Lift doors on both ends of a rectangular pen. (on top at the feeding/bedding end, and on the end at the other end)
Closed in at the one end for feed and stuffed with hay for bedding and hidding space.
Run part of the pen had wood, branches, and some cedar boughs for cover. They are still wild birds and like to feel like they are invisible.
Sorry, no pics handy just now, but if I find them, will post.

Eggs were often in the bedding end, but sometimes in the open areas.
The bottom, sides and top were all small square wire secured to wooden frame box, except for the food and bed area which had wood walls and roof, but wire bottom.
Wire bottom meant the poop fell thru and decomposed in the natural woodsy floor underneath them.
We made sure to offer a board or three inside the pen for scratching to keep toenails at healthy lengths.
We had our birds for years this way and they laid fertile eggs regularly, and 'sang' to each other in the other pens nearby.

Lots of joy in raising these ones.
Good luck with your pen and birds.
Jenny

We keep our quail in guinea pig cages that you can buy from a pet store.

My new adventure with quails!! I'm so excited! My husband refused to let me have chickens, but thankfully he OK'd quail. Together, we built this 3 story luxury condo. Each floor is 14 sq. ft. So the entire condo can hold 42 quail very comfortably. I live just south of lake Superior that neighbors Canada. We usually get a few days in winter of -30 days actual temp. We will keep their condo in the garage for winter. The left side is insulated with a 1" thick pink insulation board sandwiched between plywood and T-111. The other side is open. We draped thick plastic over a portion to help maintain warmth and cut down on quail debris (dander, feathers, sand etc) in our garage. We have an electrically warmed water 5 gal bucket on top which is piped to the quail via 1/2" PVC pipe (insulated with 3/4" black pipe styrofoam). As of today, we have had a low temp of 18* degrees and no problems. My quail are currently 5.5 weeks old. We mixed Hay (Not straw: straw has a core that can carry parasites) & pine shavings for their enclosure. We are using oil pans as poo guards and simply dump it every 3-4 days. Easy Peazy! So far, they are happy and healthy. ☺️
IMG_20201020_085518332.jpg
VID_20201005_132603050_exported_0_1601942575988.jpg
img_20201020_085529663-jpg.2380060
IMG_20200927_181029480.jpg
IMG_20200927_181029480.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201020_085529663.jpg
    IMG_20201020_085529663.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 192
My new adventure with quails!! I'm so excited! My husband refused to let me have chickens, but thankfully he OK'd quail. Together, we built this 3 story luxury condo. Each floor is 14 sq. ft. So the entire condo can hold 42 quail very comfortably. I live just south of lake Superior that neighbors Canada. We usually get a few days in winter of -30 days actual temp. We will keep their condo in the garage for winter. The left side is insulated with a 1" thick pink insulation board sandwiched between plywood and T-111. The other side is open. We draped thick plastic over a portion to help maintain warmth and cut down on quail debris (dander, feathers, sand etc) in our garage. We have an electrically warmed water 5 gal bucket on top which is piped to the quail via 1/2" PVC pipe (insulated with 3/4" black pipe styrofoam). As of today, we have had a low temp of 18* degrees and no problems. My quail are currently 5.5 weeks old. We mixed Hay (Not straw: straw has a core that can carry parasites) & pine shavings for their enclosure. We are using oil pans as poo guards and simply dump it every 3-4 days. Easy Peazy! So far, they are happy and healthy. ☺️View attachment 2380057View attachment 2380059
img_20201020_085529663-jpg.2380060
View attachment 2380081View attachment 2380081
Thank you for sharing these amazing pictures! I have been searching for weeks for ideas. I hope your little flock has done well in their little castle!

Back
Top Bottom