Show me your serma coops please !!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by EasterEggersRULE, Nov 1, 2011.

1. EasterEggersRULE

EasterEggersRULE Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    South Texas
    Getting a pair of hens on friday and i need to build a coop before then !! Would dog crate with a roost and a nest box work until i get somthing better built ?

2. waterchicken

waterchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    It might. Can you get a pic of it?

3. EasterEggersRULE

EasterEggersRULE Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    South Texas
    Quote:Well i don't have the cage yet its a large dog crate that held a lab mix and there only asking $25.
    Would it be worth a try ??
    One hen is a class B and the other is a C

4. waterchicken

Oct 28, 2011
    mmm, it should do until you can get something more permanent. But I would suggest putting some type of fencing or such around it so they can run round some.
    However, if it's outside then I don't think they'll like it one bit, but if inside for the winter then it should be OK. Spring and Fall (if not rainy) should be OK if they're outside, definitely in summer.

*If you want I can give you one of the plans I have for a coop. If so tell me how big the open space (area) in your yard is. [​IMG]

5. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    Yes, you can use a large dog crate until you make something more permanent. I think in South Texas they are not going to get cold.

I use wire rabbit cages, rabbit hutches, dog crates, metal dog cages, dog exercise pens and etc.

Every predator in the US loves to eat them, so protect them in some way when they are outside.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  6. justinsmom

justinsmom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2011
    Georgia
    These are 2 coops me and my neighbor are building for our new seramas a guy gave us when finish it will have a run proly 10x10 and ALL the lumber was purchased as bent, cracked or damaged. We will have under $100 in both coops. I'll post more pic when we are finished.

[​IMG]

Working on nesting boxes

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  7. waterchicken

Oct 28, 2011
    Quote:Well what can I say, I live in UT not South Texas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by