1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Show me your ugly yards & coops

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Badhbh, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I see so may pictures of idyllic scenes... green grass and rolling hills. Freshly painted and poop free coops.
    Then I go outside and look at my barn, and think to myself "I should have raised pigs instead." My crew is so messy. They don't roost on things that are supposed to be roosted on. They roost on buckets, and rafters. They poop all over. They scratch up holes in the yard and dig up the grass. The ducks dig holes and throw sod. The yard basically looks like a war zone with land mine holes [​IMG]
    So show me your yard. I want to know that I'm not the only one out here that has a trashy looking chicken area. [​IMG]

I'll go first.

There is no grass here. They killed it. Then kicked mud all over the feeders.

[​IMG]

Goat Boy standing and surveying the mud and destruction. At this point, there's no good place to start. 10 pounds of grass seed may help.

[​IMG]

A small corner of the bird ghetto.

[​IMG]

Girl child and I in front of the 100 year old barn with no insulation. The birds were fine last year, so i'm not making any huge changes.

[​IMG]

2. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    See, I'm such a redneck that I look at those pictures and see nothing wrong! [​IMG] Your birds look gorgeous. I don't notice the mud and junk, only the beautiful animals.

Love the geese! [​IMG]

3. LegHorn-BusHorn

LegHorn-BusHorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Near STL mo
    Don't be so hard on yourself. Looks good to me and it looks like your all having fun, thats what counts. [​IMG]

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    [​IMG]

No grass here either. In fact because of water measures, no grass anywhere, it's all brown.

5. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I think it all depends on how many birds you have, lately I noticed that my hens started to cost me a lot of $$ in feed bills so I am going to sell 10 of them on monday, that way I will have less poop in the chickenscoops [​IMG]

6. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    It doesn't matter what it looks like, your animals look great, healthy and happy! That's ALL that matters unless you personally care about looks.

7. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    You are such a hoot! With your bird ghetto. [​IMG]

I also am such a redneck that I think it looks just fine. I totally admire your barn.

We've been very lucky with the rain this year, so I still have grass and greenery (extensive weeds) in all of my pens. You don't want to see that. But it may make you feel better to know that my chicken pen was so poorly planned that it actually has 4 small coops in it, and 3 broody houses. Oh, and a broody jail. I like to call it The Little Chicken Housing Project.

The ducks fared better, because we were more experienced by the time they came along. [​IMG]

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:Ditto! [​IMG]

9. oldchickenman

oldchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    a little more mud and some beer cans it will look like my place birds look good that all that counts.

10. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    We had what seemed like 3 months of rain. I had to plank my way to the chicken house,and built the run up with hay. That's my son in the fuzzy pic. I had to relocate my coop. That was no easy task.
    [​IMG]
    Moved to hire ground. I don't think they spend but an hour a day in the run.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by