Show me your WINTER duck waterers!

See, I didn't think about how it's going to be messy to dump. Now I'm finding all kinds of issues with this, but I just can't think of a better way. I use the heated flatback buckets for everyone else, but the calls are way to short to reach them.

What I don't like: it sits on the ground instead of hanging, it's going to be a pain to clean, it doesn't hold enough water.

Does anyone use one of these for their ducks? I was looking at them but I can't tell if the water would be deep enough for them to rinse their nostrils:

Are you going to have this inside? it's going to be messy but looks like it would be deep enough for tiny Calls to use. I make steps for my Muscovy's to use the 2gal buckets I sit out for them and the 5 gal I have for my geese just pieces of 4x4's or other sizes we have left over from other projects.

Yeah it's going to be inside and I do remember the mess from my geese using the water buckets last winter. Looked something like this:

See, I didn't think about how it's going to be messy to dump. Now I'm finding all kinds of issues with this, but I just can't think of a better way. I use the heated flatback buckets for everyone else, but the calls are way to short to reach them.

What I don't like: it sits on the ground instead of hanging, it's going to be a pain to clean, it doesn't hold enough water.

Does anyone use one of these for their ducks? I was looking at them but I can't tell if the water would be deep enough for them to rinse their nostrils:

Yeah, that’s why I’m reading these posts, I’m looking for ideas..I’ve decided against this one since they can’t clean beaks and eyes

I use a heated 5 gallon water Bucket inserted at ground level and it works great.Just make sure they can get out of the bucket in case they get stuck and also make sure you have a wire protector around the cord so the little buggers cant chew on it.

Can you get a tall bucket that will sit upright in the dog dish and cut holes in the side of it for your calls? That way it's still easy for you to dump, and they still can't get in it.

western WA so it doesn't freeze too hard, here's what I've been using and plan to use year round:

-Float valve (~$10)
-10 gallon tub that the birds can reach easily and bathe in (~$10)
-Automatic water timer on the tub to drain it (~$20)

The key to this system is the water timer. I tried several times and couldn't get it working until I found a timer with two important features:

1. Must be able to operate frequently. Some only go every 6 or 12 hours. I have mine set to run every hour for 5 minutes. This keeps some movement in the hose and has kept it from freezing so far. It also keeps the water relatively clean.
2. -MOST IMPORTANT- The timer must function at low water pressure. Most timers need at least 15 psi to work, so they can't drain a tub unless its at the top of a big hill and the timer is at the bottom. The kind of timer you need is one meant for a rain barrel. They can operate at zero pressure. They aren't much more expensive but they are not the default so you need to seek them out.

Back
Top Bottom