Show me your wood duck pens/coops

Hey Melanie, Flufnstuffs, I just love your duck pen! And by the way, I am dying to get some of your silkies someday! They are soooooo daggone pretty:)

I have been raising my two wood ducks in an outdoor aviary I got from Cagesbydesign.com. It's the 10 foot diameter cage with the safety box attached. I put a 5 foot diameter galvanized stock tank in side the cage that's 1 foot high that I purchased from a grain store. I use the repile ledges found on Cagesbydesign's website for the perches. The wood ducks like to fly up and perch on them. I also provided a wood duck nesting box and the 1st year that I had these ducks, they produced 15 babies and since the young are in a protective aviary/cage, all lived without predation til they were able to fly. The babies have since flown the coop but the original two woodies that were hatched and imprinted to the family are kept inside the aviary as ornamental birds.

Last edited:
Quote:
Since poop is acidic and ducks poop a lot, plant the most acidic loving plants that will grow in your climate.

Quote:
We use a sewage pump and a "pondvac". The problem with having the trees so close is the dead leaves in the fall and the pond quickly fills with a slimey mess of dead leaves that clog pumps. The vac (here's one eBay - http://cgi.ebay.com/OASE-Pond-Vac-3...yZ103440QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) is designed for ponds and sludge and does it job, but is time consuming. We try to drain and clean every two weeks. If I were to do it again, I would actually plumb it with a real drain!!

Dan

I use the sewage pump also that will handle solids, fortunately I don't have to worry about the leaves in this pen so I rarely have to pull out them pump.

giffy
----------------------
GiffsFarm

aviary-const-14.jpg

Back
Top Bottom