Show off your house ducks!

I posted this on the general duck forum, but I thought maybe you guys could help too. Me and Misty could really use some advice.

"I have a three year old female mallard who recently (about a month ago) started quacking all the time throughout the day starting at 6 am. She was raised by me with no other ducks. She seems to have started liking my mother most and doesn't particularly want much attention from me, and quacks the most when she is at work or otherwise isn't around. Sometimes she will quack in the front yard when we are in the house and it seems like she wants us/my mom to go outside with her because she stops once we do. She used to be fine outside by herself for most of the day and then would come inside and hang out with us when she wanted. She can come and go as she pleases. I am almost always home so she is hardly ever alone.

I've been thinking maybe it's because she never got a chance to go broody last spring like she normally does or maybe she wants the companionship of another duck, but I wouldn't even know how to go about introducing her to one. The only other ducks she's seen are my backyard ducks and she's afraid of them because my drake is aggressive towards her.

I've been going through a lot of stress lately, and the last thing I need is to be woken up early as I'm not used to waking up at 6 am, especially to a loud sudden noise like quacking. I wake up instantly aggravated and mad at her which is just going to make her like me even less. Any suggestions/advice is very much appreciated!"

I posted this on the general duck forum, but I thought maybe you guys could help too. Me and Misty could really use some advice.

"I have a three year old female mallard who recently (about a month ago) started quacking all the time throughout the day starting at 6 am. She was raised by me with no other ducks. She seems to have started liking my mother most and doesn't particularly want much attention from me, and quacks the most when she is at work or otherwise isn't around. Sometimes she will quack in the front yard when we are in the house and it seems like she wants us/my mom to go outside with her because she stops once we do. She used to be fine outside by herself for most of the day and then would come inside and hang out with us when she wanted. She can come and go as she pleases. I am almost always home so she is hardly ever alone.

I've been thinking maybe it's because she never got a chance to go broody last spring like she normally does or maybe she wants the companionship of another duck, but I wouldn't even know how to go about introducing her to one. The only other ducks she's seen are my backyard ducks and she's afraid of them because my drake is aggressive towards her.

I've been going through a lot of stress lately, and the last thing I need is to be woken up early as I'm not used to waking up at 6 am, especially to a loud sudden noise like quacking. I wake up instantly aggravated and mad at her which is just going to make her like me even less. Any suggestions/advice is very much appreciated!"
She sounds lonely, i would say she must have imprinted on your mom
i wonder if finding her a younger playmate rather than your yard ducks so she wont be as intimidated

Good Luck!!

How do ducks even make it to adulthood? I've had a heck of a time trying to make sure my three girls don't do themselves harm or eat something that could hurt them! :rolleyes:

Here is a pic of them being their usual messy selves. I have got to figure out how to get a handle on the giant mush puddle they make of their food. Can I rewind and have my tiny fluff butts back? :fl
DGgFtOrVYAE-AnG.jpg

personally I think she lonely, id buy a young duckling for her as a companion, she wont feel intimidated buy a younger one and also it wont try to dominate her.

I cannot even conceive of having a flock indoors! WHY would anyone want to be living with salmonella-infested excrement piles? "Oh they're just so cute!" Sorry, ever hear of loving without touching? What is this perverse need to touch/hold anything that you love?
OK, I do understand that expressing love in a tactile fashion is easy for most people. But it is also a great way to infect your hands and arms. Wherever the flock is living indoors--you've now lost a room, since it is unfit for human habitation.
I dearly love my ducks. I also dearly love to see them outside in their "home," or roaming around the house during the day. They are great bug eaters, too. Sometimes they hide, which is one of ducks' talents. But when it is time to be put in, they always come when I call them. I feel that ducks provide a pastoral feeling, since they are such gentle creatures (let's not count drakes in the summer).
Of course everyone can do whatever they like, and I am not trying to direct anyone--merely expressing my opinion. Best of luck to all of you, who enjoy keeping your ducks inside. More power to you.
P7020045.JPG
P6160032.JPG

I cannot even conceive of having a flock indoors! WHY would anyone want to be living with salmonella-infested excrement piles? "Oh they're just so cute!" Sorry, ever hear of loving without touching? What is this perverse need to touch/hold anything that you love?
OK, I do understand that expressing love in a tactile fashion is easy for most people. But it is also a great way to infect your hands and arms. Wherever the flock is living indoors--you've now lost a room, since it is unfit for human habitation.
I dearly love my ducks. I also dearly love to see them outside in their "home," or roaming around the house during the day. They are great bug eaters, too. Sometimes they hide, which is one of ducks' talents. But when it is time to be put in, they always come when I call them. I feel that ducks provide a pastoral feeling, since they are such gentle creatures (let's not count drakes in the summer).
Of course everyone can do whatever they like, and I am not trying to direct anyone--merely expressing my opinion. Best of luck to all of you, who enjoy keeping your ducks inside. More power to you.View attachment 1114225 View attachment 1114223
How do you feel about turtles,reptiles and hedgehogs being indoor pets? They also carry salmonella.

Turtles, other reptiles, and hedgehogs are all kept in small cages, terrariums, or the like. They are not allowed to "range" all over the house (or at least in their room). Besides, the excrement from turtles, snakes and other reptiles tends to be so much less than what ducks produce. Sorry, I don't know about hedgehogs--I've only seen them on TV. And reptile poop also tends to be compressed and concentrated into ......well, you know what. And can you even imagine putting a diaper on a snake? Yeah, right.
Ducks, as you well know, hold so much in their cloacae, and blast it out with force.
You will enjoy this: yesterday, when I was carrying (yes, carrying) my Pekin out to the swimming pond, he waited until I was getting ready to release him to the pond, and then he unleashed a blast of crap right onto my thigh!!!!! UGH! Of course it ran down my leg, got on my sock, and dripped onto the top of my shoe. That was a huge thrill. I didn't need to tell you this, but I am sure you enjoyed it, since I have the unpopular view in this forum.

My sweet little welshie has turned into an aggressive little feather puller. I don't even know what to do about it.

I have the exact same thing happening with my Welshie. She is now about 4-months old, and has just started pecking at my Cayuga drake. He is so much bigger, he could kick her butt, if he wanted!
Currently, I am prepping an area outside to house the ducks. They are temporarily in an enclosure in the garage, and I am tired of it. Crowded and smelly. When the outdoor run is finished, it will be a happy day. I have a beautiful wooden duck house (with a shingled roof), and tubs for water, not counting the drinking water.
I predict that when they all move out to the new home, the aggression will stop. If not, I will deal with it then.

Back
Top Bottom