Show off your house ducks!

Pics
Ha. No. I arranged to borrow an incubator from a friend. And then asked for some in a swap that won't be ready to ship for a couple days still. I have time to fix the problem. Thankfully.

I hope so...incubators need to set for a few days beforehand so the temp and humidity levels will even out. Otherwise you can get crazy temp spikes that'll kill the eggies!

SHE FLEW!! I was bringing her in to see my hubby so I could go and cook breakfast, and she leapt right out of my arms and flew straight to him, a good 5 feet horizontally! I'm so proud of her!

Go Deema! It is said that you can NOT potty train a duck but after a month, Deema will not poop in the house or diaper! She squaks at the door like a dog to go out, poop and come back in!!

We got 15 babies for a full brood for Deems since she is happier out than in. The babies are awesome and sooo cute! Deema doesnt like them much yet but shes doing better with them wvery day.
As for a inside / outside duck, here is Deema`s story.....

We rescued her and her mate back in april. The guy who found them was going to make them dinner if he didnt find a home :(
We took them in, got them eating n happy n healthy. After a few months they were attacked by predators. She had a huge bite taken from her back and the male, Dexter, was gone. We brought her inside to heal and so she wasnt alone. She got attached to me in a few days and was a happy house duck, wore a diaper without trouble, and was super happy to have constant company. I work from home and our 2 youngest are home all day with me.
I started taking her out to forage about 6 weeks ago and its almost like she remembers being an outside bird lol! She waits at the door to go out and when it gets dark, I open her pen and she goes to the front door to get in at night!
They have a huge area outside thats fenced so they range all day but come in at night.....for now ;)

SHE FLEW!! I was bringing her in to see my hubby so I could go and cook breakfast, and she leapt right out of my arms and flew straight to him, a good 5 feet horizontally! I'm so proud of her!

Yayyyy! That is awesome! Quackers has been trying more lately. Last night, oh last night she was a pain lol. I was trying to get her to bed so I picked her up. Well she kept flapping her wings to fly. So I put her down after almost dropping her. Then she walks well runs to her bed starts getting in slowly then makes a u turn and runs then jumps on the bed. So I go to pick her up and she starts flapping her wings then next thing I know it 8 feathers fall to the bed.
One of them had blood in it. I tried checking her to make sure she wasn't bleeding but she kept pecking at me lol. Now she looks a little lopsided because one side has more feathers than the other Lol. Oh this bird sure is something else.

@EyeCandyQuilts Please let me in on your secret on how you got Deema potty trained Lol.

What about using bags of frozen veggies? After they get thawed, you can feed it to her. :)
Good to know, thanks. I was wondering, Quackers bill use to be cool when she was younger, now I've noticed that it's warm. Is that normal? Lol did I mention this is my first duck? I'm obviously clueless haha
Aww thanks, glad you guys enjoy them. :)

Oh yeah, I was also wondering if it's normal for Quakers' eating habits to change if she spends more time outside. The past couple of days she hasn't been eating dinner. My cats end up eating it lol. She even has cut back eating the cats food, which she LOVES. She does forage outside, as I've seen her. I'm thinking she's getting "full" from eating whatever she finds outside. Should I be worried? Or is it normal?

Hey sorry been gone a while. ..been working on Floki's diaper.

Which is DONE!

But Floki does the same thing. Some days she'll pig out all day and some days she will hardly eat any breakfast or dinner.

Outside foraging or not.

Yayyyy! That is awesome! Quackers has been trying more lately. Last night, oh last night she was a pain lol. I was trying to get her to bed so I picked her up. Well she kept flapping her wings to fly. So I put her down after almost dropping her. Then she walks well runs to her bed starts getting in slowly then makes a u turn and runs then jumps on the bed. So I go to pick her up and she starts flapping her wings then next thing I know it 8 feathers fall to the bed.
One of them had blood in it. I tried checking her to make sure she wasn't bleeding but she kept pecking at me lol. Now she looks a little lopsided because one side has more feathers than the other Lol. Oh this bird sure is something else.

@EyeCandyQuilts Please let me in on your secret on how you got Deema potty trained Lol.

You too....lol....see

It's like one day they wake up and realize, holy crap, I finally know what my wings are for!

And it's nuts how crazy powerful their wings really are, when we pick Floki up and she flaps her wings it's almost like she can propel you forward with the power she has.

Back
Top Bottom