Show off your Red sex-links!! [[pictures included]] !! (:

Pics
A few of mine getting free range time. Now that they've experienced how delicious the great outdoors can be, they want to come out every time the run door is opened!

I can't tell you how much fun I'm having watching them do their own thing. It's just so fascinating to see how much they enjoy foraging and how comical they look as they follow each other around. Another behavior I never knew about chickens is how they stretch out and lay on their side.
Watching them run is a riot. They are heavy footed like an ostrich and look so foolish when they freak out if afraid they're being left behind (such chickens :)).
My husband keeps warning me that free ranging is just inviting a predator (he's afraid of hawks or other bird of prey) but I'm out with them the whole time and I think letting them enjoy life is worth the risk....don't you?

Sure do! We put our run out by our dog's house and pen and that seems to help keep things out of our yard. And you can hang silver pie pans around to help with hawks. I read that if they see a lot of human traffic around they'll tend to stay away also.

And yeah I love it when one takes off then the others fly to catch up and stay together. It's so funny!!

The funniest is them flying (or trying to). I can tell they still have the instinc of a wild bird to fly but they only reach a maximum altitude of about three feet. In March, when the snow was starting to melt, I let them out when there was a small patch of snow in front of the run door, and then bare ground. At first they were at a loss as to what to do, until suddenly one of the hens made an amazing flight over the snow. The others soon followed.

Back
Top Bottom