Show off your roosters

The number of roos that can sustain a pecking order depends on a couple of different things. The breed, age, and especially how many hens you have. Personally I would not have more than 1 roo for less than 8 to 10 hens. Young roos, especially when more than one, can over-mate the hens and result in your girls walking around with bare backs (this can happen with even one roo if he doesn't have enough hens). It can help when roos are raised together.
We have one roo that has had 11 girls (up to this last week when something whittled our flock down to 9) and one of our girls has feathers missing off her back. She's not bare, but close. She's his favorite and she's the smallest girl, so I think it's how he holds on to her. All the other girls are fine, no missing feathers or anything (well, a few off the back of their heads. :-(

We have one roo that has had 11 girls (up to this last week when something whittled our flock down to 9) and one of our girls has feathers missing off her back. She's not bare, but close. She's his favorite and she's the smallest girl, so I think it's how he holds on to her. All the other girls are fine, no missing feathers or anything (well, a few off the back of their heads. :-(

I never would have thought had I been told a few years ago, but I've bought aprons for my girls that are 'friendlier' with the roos to protect them a bit. It does help!

Apparently none of my current neighbors care if I keep a rooster.
yesss.gif

I never would have thought had I been told a few years ago, but I've bought aprons for my girls that are 'friendlier' with the roos to protect them a bit. It does help!

Good to know! I may get one for her, she's a real sweetie and just hangs by his side all the time, and he wants her there. Lol!

Good to know! I may get one for her, she's a real sweetie and just hangs by his side all the time, and he wants her there. Lol!

I got mine on ebay, but you can get patterns if you have a sewing machine. You might also consider de-spuring him, if you haven't already. Roos can cut into a hens side if she has no protective feathers.

I got mine on ebay, but you can get patterns if you have a sewing machine. You might also consider de-spuring him, if you haven't already. Roos can cut into a hens side if she has no protective feathers.

I have a sewing machine but I am a poor seamstress, so I'll look on eBay.

The roo is just now getting to the point where his spurs are sharp (He's a year old) and could do some damage, so we're going to clip his spurs at the very least.

I don't have any experience with de-spurring, but I've been reading up on it. It doesn't seem that difficult, or painful for the roo.

Back
Top Bottom