Show pics of your wading pools for chickens

I use a 10 foot long mister that comes on at about 1pm and runs until 4-5 pm. It has been 107-110 for the last week and my chickens and goats seem to enjoy the mister. It really drops the temp.

I never thought of this. Was a bit worried about big heat that will be coming soon. But I only have one chickie that runs after the water when the hose is on and another runs from it, and the third one doesn't care one way or the other.

My girls are just about 7 weeks and two weeks ago, we had temps around 102. I put a rectangular baking pan filled with water in the pen and they were all walking around in it and drinking (they had a different fresh water source as well) they seemed to like wading. I rinsed and filled with fresh water at the end of the day and the next day they were back in it. I am now looking for a pan kinda like one for changing oil (wide and low) for the hot California summer coming up.

Heather

Aha! Heather, a baking pan... need to find a BIG baking pan or a couple. I love these ideas and thanks for sharing.

My mister is not set up yet, but I do hope that they like it. I have it set on a timer that can go on 4 times a day. How high off the ground is yours, Lovemy critters?

I do believe that they will like "wading". They really love digging and dirt bathing. I have a large shaded area under a tree that I have automatically watered a couple of times a day and boy do they love that!

Ellie

I put a baking pan out there and my husband will be asking when dinner is.
tongue.png
wink.png

I had a bird bath bason in the run where I kept the baby ducks, but since they moved to the pond , the chickens are using that part of the run, and the other day I saw a couple of them standing in the basin. I think that I'll keep it in there to drink and stand in whenever they want.

Hi, anyone use misters in their runs, if so how do the hens like it? I don't want to add one if it might cause them to catch the sniffles or bring on a cold. I know it is hot, but sometimes animals are not meant to stay damp. Thinking here than maybe by the time it hits the ground it would not be too much.

Hmmm.
hmm.png

Well, mine is set up to be 5' tall. I know another whose is 3' tall. My purpose is to cool the air before it gets to them. Depending on the nozzle size, you can have less water droplets and more mist.

I use these on my veranda too.

Ellie

The ones I have are abut twenty or thirty feet long, and they put out a very strong mist. It has been while, but I think I can regulate the amount of misters that come on. Thanks for the idea.

I know Redding can get hot, we were up there mountain biking in that heat wave. Lots of great trails and the falls we visited were amazing.

Dilly

I freeze a few water-filled, 2 liter soda bottles for our flock in the summer time. They love hanging out near them and on them...

P7183218.jpg

P7183193.jpg

I was going to do a shallow pan filled with cool water for them, but I like the bottles because I just use/freeze the same water over and over again.

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom