Show Prep

Quote:
When they say 'color enhancing soap', their talking about brightners and darkeners, of these two, I have only seen an affect from the brightner, (its always a blue shampoo, which is why you follow it up with another shampoo to really rinse it out and get the effect), we used them in our show dogs and horses forever-works good, some better than others, more dark blue concentrated the better, but darkners i have never noticed a difference and just don't waste money on them since its usually easily prevented by an hour or two of daylight and the rest indoors, and sometimes its just dry feathers, which regular oil, (vegetable, olive, cod liver oil-can't use as much of cod bc of the risk of high levels of mercury), in the food and dirrectly on the feathers works best, keep in mind the oil is a maintainance thing if its on the feathers, do don't it right before a show unless after the bath they are really dry still, then just barely use some on a q-tip to get into the feathers, each by hand, don't get on the fluff-but like i said, brightner is the one that shows results-just makes them whiter, takes stains out, its the same as bluing for clothes-some people just put that dirrectly in the bath water, just a few drops, i don't, shampoo works better-

OK,.. thanks,. done the bluing thing on white show horses when I was young,sooo,.. it's not a lot different than showing horses,. is it,. healthy, happy animals always show better and it's a way of life with a few pretty up's before the show..

ParadiseFoundFarm,. I hope you do well in your shows and let us now how it went!

Last edited:
What a great thread! Thank you!

BTW, any feed advice? Mine simply on layer pellets, grit, and oyster shell right now. They also get our leftovers.
big_smile.png

Where can you find leg bands for a reasonable price? I have some leg bands, but they are for 2 or 3 month olds, so they are too small for my silkies.

Thank you! I looked at Stromberg's website and it looks like they're pretty reasonable. It says that size 9 is good for silkies. Do you find that to be true?

I decided to keep a diary of my first show (the fair) but alas, the prep and worry is the same. Here's the story:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=402288

ETA :

There's info on the thread about how i got the birds tested for pullorum before the show. You can get a vitamin electrolyte mix at your farm store. It's good for their water, like the other poster said.

Something else: I didn't do this for the fair, but for the two other shows that I entered in the fall, I fed them a special diet the 2 weeks before: ( I got this out of an old poultry book) 2 times a day feed them something with a bit of oil, like sunflower seeds or flax seeds, or add a little bit of olive oil to their mash. And a little extra protein, I actually gave them a little moistened dry cat food. This makes their comb and wattles turn bright red, which looks good to the judges.

Something I did wrong. If your birds have white in them, try to keep them out of the sun during the summer months. I had a bright shiny cockerel that I just thought was dirty - he's a Dominique- then after the bath he still looked dingy and I realized it was because his feathers turned brassy from the sun! No bluing (which I tried) or the silver brights shampoo would fix it.

Have fun and good luck - good thing you're getting started early!

Last edited:
don't forget to trim nails and beaks. I use vet rx on the combs and wattles makes them bright red. also handy to have around to treat boo boos. take a watering can with a long spout with you to fill your water cups. and a chair and a good book the camera too and remember to have fun.

please post some pics of your birds I would love to see them

Back
Top Bottom