Show time Abilene Texas

yardbird tx

Songster
12 Years
Dec 31, 2007
Austin, Texas
Thought I would make a post about my daughter and I going to the Abilene Texas pigeon show. We will start with how we get ready both us and the birds. And I plan to post lots of pics threw the hole process. First we fill out the entry form. That consist of picking the birds you want to take to the show. Here is a pic of the invitation to the show and the birds that we have chosen to take.
pigeonshow012.jpg

I am only taking cock birds because I have eggs in all the nest so I must leave the hens to take care of them while we are gone to the show. I could take a hen but must leave the cock bird to see to the eggs. This time I have chosen to leave the hens to do it.

First bird is a nice old cock bird. He has good form and fits the standard well. And has nice color on his neck. I see him as my top bird to win.
pigeonshow004.jpg

Next this is a nice bird with all the things that make a good Texan Pioneer. He fits the standard and he is the perfect color.
pigeonshow007.jpg

This bird is a past winner it took JR. champ in the Cut and Shoot Texas Pigeon show 2008. I will take this bird also just to see if the judges are on there P's and q's LOL.
pigeonshow005.jpg

First thing to do is dig out the show crates. And make sure nothing has made a home in them. Got the crates out and cleaned up and ready to go.
pigeonshow001.jpg

Now I will let yall in on a couple of secrets. One of the things I do is feed hole raw peanuts about two weeks before, till show time.
Hand feed the peanuts to start to tame birds down for the show.
pigeonshow011.jpg

And I put Red Cell in the drinking water to give the birds a vitamin boost before the show. Red Cell is a liquid horse vitamin. I give one table spoon in a gallon of water twice before a show. Four weeks before and two weeks before a show. This will boost up the birds. They will look crisper and they will handle stress better with this vitamin boost.
pigeonshow010.jpg

More to come. Tomorrow I will start to put the show birds in pins. To get them used to being held and get them use to being in the show pens at the show. I will post pics of the birds in the training pens tomorrow. And we will spray the birds for feather lice. If you take a bird to a show. Just assume that the bird will have feather lice when it gets home. This has happened to me every time I go to a show. I will get them at a show and then have them in my loft. Then I will spray and get rid of them. Then they are back after the next show. So be ready for that before you go to a show. I use a spray called Bronco. It is a horse fly spray. One squirt under each wing and one under the tail will do the trick. Do this once before a show. And again just after the show. Before you get back to your coop if you can. Well spray the birds tomorrow and ill post pics of that. And well go from there.

Got the show pins set up and ready to hold and train birds tomorrow.
pigeonshow002.jpg

Last edited:
could not take more pics today because I was alone all day. Ill try to post pics tomorrow of spraying the birds and putting birds in the show pins for training.

Started putting a few birds in the show pens to start getting them use to being handled. And use to the cages. It makes for a much nicer birds at the show.

So here is a bird in the show pen for training.
pigeonshow014.jpg

And we sprayed a few birds for feather lice just as a preventive.
pigeonshow015.jpg

pigeonshow016.jpg

More to come later. Only two weeks till the show. Thanks, Joe

Well the show went well. It was a small show but a lot of fun. I did not get very good pics. But here are a few.
My daughter got champion in utility breed. And reserve champion in best of show. She will get her trophy Monday for the show.

pigeon2233006.jpg

pigeon2233007.jpg

pigeon2233016.jpg

pigeon2233014.jpg

Back
Top Bottom