Show time as Miss Lady and Squirrel face-off!!

lovesfarms

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 6, 2016
Dauphin county, pa
I'm sorry I couldn't catch the whole show on video! It always happens to fast! She loves chasing this squirrel up trees and I'm pretty sure both of them do it merely for the fun of it. The last while she runs towards him with head down, and when she's quite close,his head goes down and they Stare a couple seconds with no muscles flexing. Then the squirrel does his dance as I captured here and runs off with Miss Lady following! She would also like to take her chances with the neighbors German Shepherd. The tiniest of the gang but had no fear. I guess if I could run as fast and fly like she does I wouldn't be scared either!

Attachments

• IMG_20201005_171552.jpg
    IMG_20201005_171552.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200824_230829.jpg
    IMG_20200824_230829.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 15
My Lilly and Phyllis also love to chase Mr. Squirrel. Here they combined to tree him up a shepherd's hook. Phyllis is the Polish.

Screenshot_20201008-080223_Chrome.jpg

I have this video of Phyllis chasing him.

And just a few days ago, Lilly chased him into thei big run but decided to let him go. Lilly is staring him down at first but apparently loses interest.

They are not all friends here but only 2 hens of my 6 seem to be interested in running them off. Lilly once had Mr. Squirrel cornered and was trying to peck him in the head. She really doesn't like him.

:p
My Lilly and Phyllis also love to chase Mr. Squirrel. Here they combined to tree him up a shepherd's hook. Phyllis is the Polish.

View attachment 2364491

I have this video of Phyllis chasing him.

And just a few days ago, Lilly chased him into thei big run but decided to let him go. Lilly is staring him down at first but apparently loses interest.

They are not all friends here but only 2 hens of my 6 seem to be interested in running them off. Lilly once had Mr. Squirrel cornered and was trying to peck him in the head. She really doesn't like him.
Is the top of your run open or how does the squirrel get in? Just wondering because I planted a ton of sun flowers last summer and that's why the squirrel is around, I think it's just one. I was hoping he would leave once the food supply is gone. I used to think squirrels are pretty but I've read how much damage they can do to a house and I see him on the porch and roof. I thought of covering the tree trunk with foil so he can't run up and jump to the house roof. Between pesting the chickens and getting to close to the house he looks no different then a rat or mouse right now! I'm fine with the chickens chasing him off except I'm always afraid they won't stop at the road and I can't run fast enough to stop them! Last evening two of them zoomed after him across property lines and into the neighbors garden! Oops! It's only the last two days that they started coming face to face, I think the squirrel is getting bolder instead of running but at the same time they stand guard of their property and won't let him come closer. It is fun watching them run after him-they almost slither and zoom across the ground just like he does!

Fun videos! :D They do NOT like Mr. Squirrel in their feed!! 😆 Your facilities and yard are gorgeous!
Thank you, you are most kind. The yard has been a long term project that started in 2002. The coop and run are much more recent.

Lilly and Phyllis are definitely anti-squirrel. Generally the squirrel knows it and avoids them. I've seen run him off by bluffing one step towards him when she wasn't in the mood to give chase. 🤣

:p
Is the top of your run open or how does the squirrel get in? Just wondering because I planted a ton of sun flowers last summer and that's why the squirrel is around, I think it's just one. I was hoping he would leave once the food supply is gone. I used to think squirrels are pretty but I've read how much damage they can do to a house and I see him on the porch and roof. I thought of covering the tree trunk with foil so he can't run up and jump to the house roof. Between pesting the chickens and getting to close to the house he looks no different then a rat or mouse right now! I'm fine with the chickens chasing him off except I'm always afraid they won't stop at the road and I can't run fast enough to stop them! Last evening two of them zoomed after him across property lines and into the neighbors garden! Oops! It's only the last two days that they started coming face to face, I think the squirrel is getting bolder instead of running but at the same time they stand guard of their property and won't let him come closer. It is fun watching them run after him-they almost slither and zoom across the ground just like he does!
I love the squirrel chases. One-time Phyllis surprised him from behind a tree truck and jumped to land on him like a hawk. The squirrel dodged at the last second and she missed. I thought she was going to ride him for a while.

The roof of my run is covered in double pane patio door glass to let the sun in and keep the hawks out. It also keeps most of the snow out of the run unless the wind picks up and the snow blows. The squirrel was chased into the run through door you can see the ladies go out. It was free range time and the run was wide open. The squirrel has gotten chased into the run at least 5 times that I know of. Phyllis went in after him one time and she was flying up at him as he tried to climb his way clear. I've had Lilly chase him all around the run before he found his way back out.

Squirrels are very pesky right now as we get deeper into fall. They will empty my bird feeders. I am glad that at least 2 of my girls are keeping them in check. He should be glad they don't all work together.

I love the squirrel chases. One-time Phyllis surprised him from behind a tree truck and jumped to land on him like a hawk. The squirrel dodged at the last second and she missed. I thought she was going to ride him for a while.

The roof of my run is covered in double pane patio door glass to let the sun in and keep the hawks out. It also keeps most of the snow out of the run unless the wind picks up and the snow blows. The squirrel was chased into the run through door you can see the ladies go out. It was free range time and the run was wide open. The squirrel has gotten chased into the run at least 5 times that I know of. Phyllis went in after him one time and she was flying up at him as he tried to climb his way clear. I've had Lilly chase him all around the run before he found his way back out.

Squirrels are very pesky right now as we get deeper into fall. They will empty my bird feeders. I am glad that at least 2 of my girls are keeping them in check. He should be glad they don't all work together.
Everybody talks about predators killing chickens-at least for once chickens have the opportunity to chase something else!! The thought did occur to me, do you think they would kill a squirrel??!! They are known to kill mice. I hope I'm fast enough to get a picture of she ever catches one!!

Everybody talks about predators killing chickens-at least for once chickens have the opportunity to chase something else!! The thought did occur to me, do you think they would kill a squirrel??!! They are known to kill mice. I hope I'm fast enough to get a picture of she ever catches one!!
Yes, I am convinced Lilly meant to kill him that day she had him cornered. Those pecks were vicious and if she had connected he would have felt it for sure.

Back
Top Bottom